Demand and Supply of Crop Infraspecific Diversity on Farms: Towards a Policy Framework for On-Farm Conservation
Interest is increasing worldwide in on-farm conservation as a component of a strategy to conserve crop genetic resources. On-farm conservation may require outside support to small-scale farmers in areas of crop domestication and diversity. This paper argues that crop infraspecific diversity maintained by farming households in these areas results from the interplay between demand and supply for this diversity (i.e., its loss may be demand- or supply-related). In the first instance, interventions should be aimed at increasing the value of crop diversity for farmers or decreasing the farm-level opportunity costs of maintaining diversity. In the second instance, interventions should decrease the transaction costs of accessing crop diversity. It may be difficult, however, to distinguish in empirical research, whether the constraints to diversity are demand- or supply-related. Therefore the process of supporting on-farm conservation should be kept as open as possible and both demand and supply interventions should be available.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Apdo. Postal 6-641, 06600 Mexico, D.F.|
Phone: +52(55) 5804-2004
Fax: +52(55) 5804-7558
Web page: http://www.cimmyt.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rice, Elizabeth & Smale, Melinda & Blanco, Jose-Luis, 1998.
"Farmers' use of improved seed selection practices in Mexican maize: Evidence and issues from the Sierra de Santa Marta,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(9), pages 1625-1640, September.
- Rice, Elizabeth & Smale, Melinda & Blanco, Jose-Luis, 1997. "Farmers' Use of Improved Seed Selection Practices in Mexican Maize: Evidence and Issues from the Sierra de Santa Marta," Economics Working Papers 7690, CIMMYT: International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center.
- Sperling, Louise & Loevinsohn, Michael E., 1993. "The dynamics of adoption: Distribution and mortality of bean varieties among small farmers in Rwanda," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 441-453.
- Smale, Melinda & Aguirre, Alfonso & Bellon, Mauricio R. & Mendoza, Jorge & Rosas, Irma Manuel, 1999. "Farmer Management of Maize Diversity in the Central Valleys of Oaxaca, Mexico: CIMMYT/INIFAP 1998 Baseline Socioeconomic Survey," Economics Working Papers 7689, CIMMYT: International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center.
- J. Edward Taylor & Antonio Yunez-Naude & George Dyer, 1999. "Agricultural Price Policy, Employment, and Migration in a Diversified Rural Economy: A Village-Town CGE Analysis from Mexico," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 653-662.
- Bellon, Mauricio R & Taylor, J Edward, 1993. ""Folk" Soil Taxonomy and the Partial Adoption of New Seed Varieties," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(4), pages 763-86, July.
- Bellon, Mauricio R. & Smale, Melinda & Aguirre, Alfonso & Taba, Suketoshi & Aragon, Flavio & Diaz, Jaime & Castro, Humberto, 2000. "Identifying Appropriate Germplasm For Participatory Breeding: An Example From The Central Valleys Of Oaxaca, Mexico," Economics Working Papers 46524, CIMMYT: International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center.
- Brush, Stephen B. & Taylor, J. Edward & Bellon, Mauricio R., 1992. "Technology adoption and biological diversity in Andean potato agriculture," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 365-387, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:cimmew:7666. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.