Drugs as a Rational Choice: Preliminary Explorations of Marijuana Consumption in Australia
Although an illegal commodity, Australian marijuana market is estimated to be in the size of as large as $5 billion annually. Understanding the consumer behaviour of illicit drug consumption is essential in drug policy debate. Using micro unit data from the most recent National Drug Strategy Household Surveys, ordered Probit model is estimated to study the effects of some social, economic and demographic factors on the frequency of an individual’s marijuana consumption. A sequential model is also estimated that examines separately the decisions of whether to participate in regular consumption and how often to consume the drug. Results indicate that some factors may have opposite effects on the two decisions.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth W. Clements, 2004.
"Three Facts About Marijuana Prices,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
04-06, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Clements, Kenneth W., 2004. "Three facts about marijuana prices," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(2), June.
- Kenneth W. Clements, 2004. "Three facts about marijuana prices ," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(2), pages 271-300, 06.
- Kenneth W. Clements, 2002. "Three Facts About Marijuana Prices," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 02-10, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Clements, Kenneth W., 2003. "Three Facts About Marijuana Prices," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57846, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- K.W. Clements & M. Daryal, 1999. "The Economics of Marijuana Consumption," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 99-20, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Cameron, Lisa & Williams, Jenny, 2001. "Cannabis, Alcohol and Cigarettes: Substitutes or Complements?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 77(236), pages 19-34, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aare03:58276. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.