Determining the community value of peri-urban land: The significance of environmental amenity and production alternatives
Expanding urban areas such as Queensland’s Sunshine coast face growing land use conflicts among urban, agricultural and conservation uses. Private allocation decisions often exclude non-use value of environmental benefits leading to both socially undesirable and economically inefficient outcomes. We present the results of a choice modelling study in the Sunshine coast to estimate community values for peri-urban land in production and conservation. We examine the implications of the value estimates in the optimal allocation of land for sugarcane on the basis of total economic value from all land uses including the preservation of unique and threatened vegetation.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wiktor Adamowicz & Peter Boxall & Michael Williams & Jordan Louviere, 1998. "Stated Preference Approaches for Measuring Passive Use Values: Choice Experiments and Contingent Valuation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 64-75.
- Morrison, Mark & Blamey, Russell K. & Mallawaarachchi, Thilak, 2001. "Ethical Design of Stated Preference Questionnaires: Results from a Split-Sample Test," 2001 Conference (45th), January 23-25, 2001, Adelaide 125758, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Rolf Jens Brunstad & Ivar Gaasland & Erling Vårdal, 1999.
"Agricultural Production and the Optimal Level of Landscape Preservation (,"
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 75(4), pages 538-546.
- Brunstad, R.J. & Gaasland, I. & Vardal, E., 1999. "Agricultural Production and the Optimal Level of Landscape Preservation," Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen 205, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- M. Morrison & R. Blamey & J. Bennett, 2000. "Minimising Payment Vehicle Bias in Contingent Valuation Studies," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 16(4), pages 407-422, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aare01:125763. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.