Bayesian estimation of non-stationary Markov models combining micro and macro data
In this poster a Bayesian estimation framework for a non-stationary Markov model is developed for situations where sample data with observed transition between classes (micro data) and aggregate population shares (macro data) are available. Posterior distributions on transition probabilities are derived based on a micro based prior and a macro based Likelihood function thereby consistently combining previously separated approaches. Monte Carlo simulations for ordered and unordered Markov states show how observed micro transitions improve precision of posterior knowledge as the sample size increases.
|Date of creation:||24 Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heckelei, Thomas & Mittelhammer, Ronald C. & Jansson, Torbjorn, 2008. "A Bayesian Alternative To Generalized Cross Entropy Solutions For Underdetermined Econometric Models," Discussion Papers 56973, University of Bonn, Institute for Food and Resource Economics.
- Train,Kenneth E., 2009.
"Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521766555.
- D. L. Hawkins & Chien-Pai Han, 2000. "Estimating Transition Probabilities from Aggregate Samples Plus Partial Transition Data," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 56(3), pages 848-854, 09.
- Karantininis, Kostas, 2002.
"Information-based estimators for the non-stationary transition probability matrix: an application to the Danish pork industry,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 107(1-2), pages 275-290, March.
- Karantininis, Kostas, 2001. "Information Based Estimators for the Non-Stationary Transition Probability Matrix: An Application to the Danish Pork Industry," Unit of Economics Working papers 24198, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute.
- Andrés Musalem & Eric T. Bradlow & Jagmohan S. Raju, 2009. "Bayesian estimation of random‐coefficients choice models using aggregate data," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(3), pages 490-516, 04.
- Gillian A. Lancaster & Mick Green & Steven Lane, 2006. "Reducing bias in ecological studies: an evaluation of different methodologies," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 169(4), pages 681-700.
- MacRae, Elizabeth Chase, 1977. "Estimation of Time-Varying Markov Processes with Aggregate Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(1), pages 183-98, January.
- Zimmermann, Andrea & Heckelei, Thomas, 2010.
"Structural change of European dairy farms - A cross-regional analysis,"
114th Seminar, April 15-16, 2010, Berlin, Germany
61090, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Andrea Zimmermann & Thomas Heckelei, 2012. "Structural Change of European Dairy Farms – A Cross-Regional Analysis," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(3), pages 576-603, 09.
- Zimmermann, Andrea & Heckelei, Thomas, 2010. "Structural Change of European Dairy Farms- A Cross-Regional Analysis," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61006, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Steven Scott, 2011. "Data augmentation, frequentist estimation, and the Bayesian analysis of multinomial logit models," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 52(1), pages 87-109, February.
- Silke Huettel & Roel Jongeneel, 2011. "How has the EU milk quota affected patterns of herd-size change?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 497-527, October.
- Ben Pelzer, 2002. "Bayesian estimation of transition probabilities from repeated cross sections," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 56(1), pages 23-33.
- Jarrow, Robert A & Lando, David & Turnbull, Stuart M, 1997. "A Markov Model for the Term Structure of Credit Risk Spreads," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(2), pages 481-523.
- Zimmermann, Andrea & Heckelei, Thomas, 2012. "Differences of farm structural change across European regions," Discussion Papers 162879, University of Bonn, Institute for Food and Resource Economics.
- Mittelhammer,Ron C. & Judge,George G. & Miller,Douglas J., 2000. "Econometric Foundations Pack with CD-ROM," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521623940.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea11:103645. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.