Identifying Monetary Impacts On Food Prices In China: A Vec Model Approach
This research attempts to investigate the impacts of monetary variables (such as money supply and interest rates) on food prices in China using a vector error correction (VEC) model approach. Evidence indicates that monetary variables and the food price index (FPI) have a long-run equilibrium relationship in China. Furthermore, the direction of Granger-causality moves from the money supply to the FPI and then to interest rates, rather than the reverse. Monetary impacts on food prices in China mainly stem from the money supply rather than interest rates.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mathew D. Shane & William M. Liefert, 2000. "The International Financial Criss: Macroeconomic Linkages to Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(3), pages 682-687.
- G. Edward Schuh, 1974. "The Exchange Rate and U. S. Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 56(1), pages 1-13.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1981. "Some properties of time series data and their use in econometric model specification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 121-130, May.
- Richard C. Barnett & David A. Bessler & Robert L. Thompson, 1983. "The Money Supply and Nominal Agricultural Prices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 65(2), pages 303-307.
- Orden, David, 2002.
"Exchange Rate Effects On Agricultural Trade,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(02), August.
- Taimur Baig & JÃ¶rg Decressin & Tarhan Feyzioglu & Manmohan S. Kumar & Chris Faulkner-MacDonagh, 2003. "Deflation; Determinants, Risks, and Policy Options," IMF Occasional Papers 221, International Monetary Fund.
- James G. MacKinnon, 1995.
"Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests,"
918, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 601-18, Nov.-Dec..
- Sayed H. Saghaian & Michael R. Reed & Mary A. Marchant, 2002. "Monetary Impacts and Overshooting of Agricultural Prices in an Open Economy," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(1), pages 90-103.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea04:20315. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.