The Private Sector Approach To Grain Marketing: The Case Of Agricultural Market Advisory Services
The purpose of this paper is to investigate the pricing performance and behavior of market advisory services in corn and soybeans. Data on corn and soybean net price received for advisory services, as reported by the AgMAS Project, are available for the 1995, 1996 and 1997 marketing years. Performance test results suggest that, on average, market advisory services exhibit a small ability to "beat the market". This conclusion is somewhat sensitive to the type of performance test and market benchmark considered. The predictability results provide little evidence that future advisory service pricing performance can be predicted from past performance. Marketing profiles identify three marketing "styles": i) "scale-up" sales, ii) selective hedging and iii) "speculative" hedging. Advisory services tend to follow the same approach across crop years.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Metrick, 1998.
"Performance Evaluation with Transactions Data: The Stock Selection of Investment Newsletters,"
NBER Working Papers
6648, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Metrick, 1999. "Performance Evaluation with Transactions Data: The Stock Selection of Investment Newsletters," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(5), pages 1743-1775, October.
- Good, Darrel L. & Irwin, Scott H. & Jackson, Thomas E., 1998. "Development Of A Market Benchmark Price For Agmas Performance Evaluations," AgMAS Project Research Reports 14783, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
- Brown, Stephen J, et al, 1992. "Survivorship Bias in Performance Studies," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(4), pages 553-80.
- Irwin, Scott H. & Jackson, Thomas E. & Good, Darrel L., 1999. "Do Agricultural Market Advisory Services Beat The Market? Evidence From The Corn And Soybean Markets Over 1995-1997," AgMAS Project Research Reports 14789, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
- Bertoli, Roberto & Zuluaf, Carl R. & Irwin, Scott H. & Jackson, Thomas E. & Good, Darrel L., 1999. "The Marketing Style Of Advisory Services For Corn And Soybeans In 1995," AgMAS Project Research Reports 14792, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
- Lakonishok, Joseph & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1992. "The Structure and Performance of the Money Management Industry," Scholarly Articles 10498059, Harvard University Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aae08p:19579. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.