Finance and Innovation System or Chaos
The present paper discusses an important part of the framework conditions for innovation in a number of European countries (France, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom) as well Japan and the United States through a comparison of the development of the financial systems in these countries. The main focus is whether a convergence can be observed between what is traditionally perceived as market based and credit based systems respectively. Based on quantitative statistics it is concluded that a convergence has taken place, and it is becoming increasingly more difficult to divide national financial systems into two main categories based on quantitative data alone. But differences still remain, and the paper continues by discussing reasons for convergence and divergence respectively. These reasons include internationalization, differences in industrial structure, as well as changes in national and international regulation. Before turning to a discussion of the policy perspectives of the observed development the paper discusses the financial systems ability to finance different types of transactions.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.druid.dk/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1990. "Finance, innovation and industrial change," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 299-319, June.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1988. " Corporate Finance and Corporate Governance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(3), pages 567-591, July.
- Mayer, Colin, 1988.
"New issues in corporate finance,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1167-1183, June.
- Mayer, Colin, 1987. "New Issues in Corporate Finance," CEPR Discussion Papers 181, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Colin Mayer, 1990. "Financial Systems, Corporate Finance, and Economic Development," NBER Chapters,in: Asymmetric Information, Corporate Finance, and Investment, pages 307-332 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vitols, Sigurt, 1995. "Financial systems and industrial policy in Germany and Great Britain: the limits of convergence," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Economic Change and Employment FS I 95-311, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aal:abbswp:98-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keld Laursen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.