Asymptotic Theory for Regressions with Smoothly Changing Parameters
We derive asymptotic properties of the quasi maximum likelihood estimator of smooth transition regressions when time is the transition variable. The consistency of the estimator and its asymptotic distribution are examined. It is shown that the estimator converges at the usual square-root-of-T rate and has an asymptotically normal distribution. Finite sample properties of the estimator are explored in simulations. We illustrate with an application to US inflation and output data.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Medeiros, Marcelo & Veiga, Alvaro, 2000.
"Diagnostic Checking in a Flexible Nonlinear Time Series Model,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
386, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 15 Jan 2001.
- Marcelo C. Medeiros & Alvaro Veiga, 2003. "Diagnostic Checking in a Flexible Nonlinear Time Series Model," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(4), pages 461-482, 07.
- Andrews, Donald W.K., 1992.
"Generic Uniform Convergence,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(02), pages 241-257, June.
- Areosa, W.D. & McAleer, M.J. & Medeiros, M.C., 2008.
"Moment-bases estimation of smooth transition regression models with endogenous variables,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2008-36, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Areosa, Waldyr Dutra & McAleer, Michael & Medeiros, Marcelo C., 2011. "Moment-based estimation of smooth transition regression models with endogenous variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 165(1), pages 100-111.
- Waldyr Dutra Areosa & Michael McAleer & Marcelo Cunha Medeiros, 2010. "Moment-based estimation of smooth transition regression models with endogenous variables," Textos para discussão 571, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Waldyr Dutra Areosa & Michael McAleer & Marcelo C. Medeiros, 2009. "Moment-Based Estimation of Smooth Transition Regression Models with Endogenous Variables," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-671, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & C. John McDermott, 1993.
"Nonlinear Econometric Models with Deterministically Trending Variables,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1053, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Donald W. K. Andrews & C. John McDermott, 1995. "Nonlinear Econometric Models with Deterministically Trending Variables," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(3), pages 343-360.
- McAleer, Michael & Medeiros, Marcelo C., 2008.
"A multiple regime smooth transition Heterogeneous Autoregressive model for long memory and asymmetries,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 104-119, November.
- Michael McAller & Marcelo C. Medeiros, 2007. "A multiple regime smooth transition heterogeneous autoregressive model for long memory and asymmetries," Textos para discussão 544, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Choi, In, 2004. "Cointegrating Smooth Transition Regressions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(02), pages 301-340, April.
- Mayte Suarez Farinãs & Carlos Eduardo Pedreira & Marcelo C. Medeiros, 2003.
"Local-global neural networks: a new approach for nonlinear time series modelling,"
Textos para discussão
470, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Mayte Suarez -Farinas & Carlos E. Pedreira & Marcelo C. Medeiros, 2004. "Local Global Neural Networks: A New Approach for Nonlinear Time Series Modeling," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 1092-1107, December.
- Strikholm, Birgit, 2006. "Determining the number of breaks in a piecewise linear regression model," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 648, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Shiqing Ling & Michael McAleer, 2001.
"Asymptotic Theory for a Vector ARMA-GARCH Model,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0549, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Jushan Bai, 1995.
"Estimating Multiple Breaks One at a Time,"
95-18, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Li, W K & Ling, Shiqing & McAleer, Michael, 2002. " Recent Theoretical Results for Time Series Models with GARCH Errors," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 245-269, July.
- Lin, Chien-Fu Jeff & Terasvirta, Timo, 1994. "Testing the constancy of regression parameters against continuous structural change," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 211-228, June.
- Davidson, James, 1994. "Stochastic Limit Theory: An Introduction for Econometricians," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774037.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aah:create:2012-31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.