Optimal Tax-Transfer Policies, Life-Cycle Labour Supply and Present-Biased Preferences
Using a two-period model with two types of agents that are characterized by present-biased preferences second-best optimal tax-transfer policies are considered. The paternalistic optimal tax-transfer policy has two main concerns: Income redistribution from high to low ability households and correction of undersaving due to present-biasedness. Policies must comply with incentive-compatibility constraints that restricts both how much income redistribution that can take place and how much savings should be subsidized. A main result is that the degree of present-biasedness has important consequences not only for optimal subsidies to savings but also for optimal marginal income taxes.
|Date of creation:||24 May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.au.dk/afn/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Spencer Bastani & Sören Blomquist & Luca Micheletto, 2013.
"The Welfare Gains Of Age‐Related Optimal Income Taxation,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 54, pages 1219-1249, November.
- Spencer Bastani & Sören Blomquist & Luca Micheletto, 2010. "The Welfare Gains of Age Related Optimal Income Taxation," CESifo Working Paper Series 3225, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bastani, Spencer & Blomquist, Sören & Micheletto, Luca, 2010. "The Welfare Gains of Age Related Optimal Income Taxation," Working Paper Series, Center for Fiscal Studies 2010:12, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Richard Rogerson & Johanna Wallenius, 2007.
"Micro and Macro Elasticities in a Life Cycle Model With Taxes,"
NBER Working Papers
13017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rogerson, Richard & Wallenius, Johanna, 2009. "Micro and macro elasticities in a life cycle model with taxes," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 144(6), pages 2277-2292, November.
- Helmuth Cremer & Philippe De Donder & Darío Maldonado & Pierre Pestieau, 2008.
"Forced Saving, Redistribution and Nonlinear Social Security Schemes,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2325, CESifo Group Munich.
- Helmuth Cremer & Philippe De Donder & Dario Maldonado & Pierre Pestieau, 2009. "Forced Saving, Redistribution, and Nonlinear Social Security Schemes," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 86-98, July.
- Cremer, Helmuth & De Donder, Philippe & Maldonado, Darío & Pestieau, Pierre, 2008. "Forced Saving, Redistribution and Nonlinear Social Security Schemes," CEPR Discussion Papers 6775, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- CREMER, Helmuth & De DONDER, Philippe & MALDONADO, Dario & PESTIEAU, Pierre, . "Forced saving, redistribution, and nonlinear social security schemes," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2147, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- CREMER, Helmuth & DE DONDER, Philippe & MALDONADO, Dario & PESTIEAU, Pierre, 2008. "Forced saving, redistribution and nonlinear social security schemes," CORE Discussion Papers 2008020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Helmuth Cremer & Philippe De Donder & Dario Maldonado & Pierre Pestieau, 2009. "Forced saving, redistribution and non linear social security scheme," Post-Print halshs-00754346, HAL.
- Craig Brett & John A. Weymark, 2005. "Optimal Nonlinear Taxation of Income and Savings in a Two Class Economy," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0525, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Narayana R. Kocherlakota, 2010.
"The New Dynamic Public Finance,"
Princeton University Press,
edition 1, number 9222.
- Laibson, David I., 1997.
"Golden Eggs and Hyperbolic Discounting,"
4481499, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- J. A. Mirrlees, 1971. "An Exploration in the Theory of Optimum Income Taxation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(2), pages 175-208.
- Sören Blomquist & Luca Micheletto, 2008.
"Age-related Optimal Income Taxation,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 110(1), pages 45-71, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aah:aarhec:2012-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.