Unions and Wage Inequality in Canada and the United States
In: Small Differences That Matter: Labor Markets and Income Maintenance in Canada and the United States
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Lemieux, T., 1993. "Unions and Wages Inequality in Canada and the United States," Cahiers de recherche 9302, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
References listed on IDEAS
- David Card, 1992. "The Effect of Unions on the Distribution of Wages: Redistribution or Relabelling?," NBER Working Papers 4195, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harry G. Johnson & Peter Mieszkowski, 1970. "The Effects of Unionization on the Distribution of Income: A General Equilibrium Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(4), pages 539-561.
- Wayne Simpson, 1985. "The Impact of Unions on the Structure of Canadian Wages: An Empirical Analysis with Microdata," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(1), pages 164-181, February.
- Brown, James N & Ashenfelter, Orley, 1986. "Testing the Efficiency of Employment Contracts," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 40-87, June.
- Robinson, Chris & Tomes, Nigel, 1984. "Union Wage Differentials in the Public and Private Sectors: A Simultaneous Equations Specification," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 2(1), pages 106-127, January.
- Richard B. Freeman, 1980. "Unionism and the Dispersion of Wages," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 34(1), pages 3-23, October.
- S. Rosen, 1969. "Trade Union Power, Threat Effects and the Extent of Organization," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(2), pages 185-196.
- John M. Abowd & Henry S. Farber, 1982. "Job Queues and the Union Status of Workers," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 35(3), pages 354-367, April.
- Kumar, P., 1988. "Estimates of Unionism and Collective Bargaining Coverage in Canada," Papers 1988-2, Queen's at Kingston - Sch. of Indus. Relat. Papers in Industrial Relations.
- Pradeep Kumar & Thanasis Stengos, 1985. "Measuring the Union Relative Wage Impact: A Methodological Note," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(1), pages 182-189, February.
- Robinson, Chris, 1989. "The Joint Determination of Union Status and Union Wage Effects: Some Tests of Alternative Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 639-667, June.
- Kumar, Pradeep & Stengos, Thanasis, 1986. "Interpreting the wage gap estimate from selectivity correction techniques using micro data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 191-195.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1982. "Multivariate regression models for panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 5-46, January.
- Dennis Maki & Ignace Ng, 1990. "Effects of Trade Unions on the Earnings Differential between Males and Females: Canadian Evidence," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 23(2), pages 305-311, May.
- Harberger, Arnold C, 1971. "Three Basic Postulates for Applied Welfare Economics: An Interpretive Essay," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 785-797, September.
- E. Kenneth Grant & Robert Swidinsky & John Vanderkamp, 1987. "Canadian Union-Nonunion Wage Differentials," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 41(1), pages 93-107, October.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sharpe, Andrew & Zyblock, Myles, 1997. "Macroeconomic performance and income distribution in Canada," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 167-199.
- Machin, Stephen, 1997. "The decline of labour market institutions and the rise in wage inequality in Britain," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 647-657, April.
- Baker, Michael & Fortin, Nicole, 2000. "The Gender Composition and Wages: Why is Canada Different from the United States?," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2000140e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Card, David & de la Rica, Sara, 2004.
"The Effect of Firm-Level Contracts on the Structure of Wages: Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1421, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David Card & Sara de la Rica, 2005. "The Effect of Firm-Level Contracts on the Structure of Wages: Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data," NBER Working Papers 11829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Card, David E. & De la Rica Goiricelaya, Sara, 2004. "The effect of firm-level contracts on the structure of wages: evidence from matched employer-employee data," DFAEII Working Papers 2004-06, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- John F. Helliwell, 2001. "Canada: Life beyond the Looking Glass," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(1), pages 107-124, Winter.
- François Rycx & Robert Plasman, 2001. "Collective bargaining and poverty: a cross-national perspective," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/795, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Nicole M. Fortin & Thomas Lemieux, 1997. "Institutional Changes and Rising Wage Inequality: Is There a Linkage?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(2), pages 75-96, Spring.
- Picot, Garnett, 1998. "What is Happening to Earnings, Inequality and Youth Wages in the 1990s?," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 1998116e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Jean Farès & Terence Yuen, 2003. "Technological Change and the Education Premium in Canada: Sectoral Evidence," Staff Working Papers 03-18, Bank of Canada.
- Stephen Donald & David Green & Harry Paarsch, "undated". "Differences in Earnings and Wage Distributions between Canada and the United States: An Application of a Semi-Parametric Estimator of Distribution Functions with Covariates," Working Papers _003, University of California at Berkeley, Econometrics Laboratory Software Archive.
- Michael Baker & Nicole M. Fortin, 2001.
"Occupational gender composition and wages in Canada, 1987-1988,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 34(2), pages 345-376, May.
- Michael Baker & Nicole M. Fortin, 1999. "Occupational Gender Composition and Wages in Canada: 1987-1988," NBER Working Papers 7371, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Baker & Nicole M. Fortin, 2000. "Occupational Gender Composition and Wages in Canada: 1987-1988," CIRANO Working Papers 2000s-48, CIRANO.
- Michael Baker & Nicole M. Fortin, 2000. "Occupational Gender Composition and Wages in Canada: 1987-1988," Working Papers baker-00-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Rudy Fichtenbaum, 2006. "Labour market segmentation and union wage gaps," Review of Social Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 64(3), pages 387-420.
- Töngür, Ünal & Elveren, Adem Yavuz, 2014.
"Deunionization and pay inequality in OECD Countries: A panel Granger causality approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 417-425.
- Unal Tongur & Adem Yavuz Elveren, 2013. "Deunionization and Pay Inequality in OECD Countries: A Panel Granger Causality Approach," ERC Working Papers 1306, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised May 2013.
- Dibooglu, Selahattin & Enders, Walter, 2001. "Do Real Wages Respond Asymmetrically to Unemployment Shocks? Evidence from the U.S. and Canada," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 495-515, October.
- Picot, Garnett, 1998. "Le point sur l'inegalite des gains et sur la remuneration des jeunes durant les annees 90," Direction des etudes analytiques : documents de recherche 1998116f, Statistics Canada, Direction des etudes analytiques.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberch:11146. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: () or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.