Cruise tourism exteralities and residents' support: A mixed approach
This paper investigates residents' preferences of investment in cruise tourism, taking its externalities into full account. The research involved data collection in the port of call of Messina (Sicily, Italy), during the peak cruise season in 2011. A mixed generalized ordered logit analysis, based upon a correspondence analysis, is run to examine what factors influence residents' perceptions about investing in cruise tourism. Potential positive and negative externalities produced by this economic activity, as well as socio-demographic and economic determinants are taken into account. Overall, residents in Messina, treated as a composite stakeholder, would invest a very high level of resources in cruising if their income depends on the cruise activity, if they had a cruise trip in the past, if they belong to a family with a high number of components, and if they believe this activity to exert positive welfare, cultural and social externalities. Conversely, residents in Messina are likely to prefer a low, or very low level of investment the farther they live from the port, if they are female, retired and if they perceive a deterioration of the environment. Implications for policy makers are drawn from these empirical findings.
Volume (Year): 6 (2012)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.economics-ejournal.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- G. Del Chiappa & M. Meleddu & M. Pulina, 2011. "The perceptions of an island community towards cruise tourism: A factor analysis," Working Paper CRENoS 201119, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Biagi, Bianca & Brandono, Maria Giovanna & Detotto, Claudio, 2012.
"The effect of tourism on crime in Italy: A dynamic panel approach,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 6, pages 1-24.
- Biagi, Bianca & Brandano, Maria Giovanna & Detotto, Claudio, 2012. "The effect of tourism on crime in Italy: A dynamic panel approach," Economics Discussion Papers 2012-4, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- B. Biagi & MG. Brandano & C. Detotto, 2012. "The effect of tourism on crime in Italy: a dynamic panel approach," Working Paper CRENoS 201201, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Joseph Hilbe, 1993. "Generalized linear models," Stata Technical Bulletin, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(11).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifweej:201240. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.