Economic reform: Is it hurting the poor? A country specific study
This paper analyses how and why the welfare of the poor in Sudan has changed during the reform period of 1980s. The analysis indicates that the period was not only one of abysmal economic performance, but also revealed considerable deterioration on all poverty dimensions, incidence, intensity and degree of inequality among the poor. Though external shocks and civil war played a role in Sudan's socioeconomic crisis, the analysis also indicates that the 1980s economic reform was flawed as well. The sectors targeted by the reform failed to tap the impulses for equitable economic growth. An alternative broader-based reform favouring traditional agriculture and processing of its products would have reduced poverty without compromising between growth-oriented policies and social equity.© 1997 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 9 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cornia, Giovanni Andrea & Jolly, Richard & Stewart, Frances (ed.), 1987. "Adjustment with a Human Face: Volume 1, Protecting the Vulnerable and Promoting Growth," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198286097.
- William Easterly & Michael Kremer & Lant Pritchett & Lawrence H. Summers, 1993.
"Good Policy or Good Luck? Country Growth Performance and Temporary Shocks,"
NBER Working Papers
4474, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Easterly, William & Kremer, Michael & Pritchett, Lant & Summers, Lawrence H., 1993. "Good policy or good luck?: Country growth performance and temporary shocks," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 459-483, December.
- Pyatt, F Graham & Round, Jeffery I, 1979. "Accounting and Fixed Price Multipliers in a Social Accounting Matrix Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 850-73, December.
- Glewwe, P. & De Tray, D., 1988. "The Poor During Adjustment - A Case Study Of Cote D'Ivoire," Papers 47, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Kakwani, Nanak, 1980. "On a Class of Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(2), pages 437-46, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:9:y:1997:i:1:p:21-28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.