Policy, vulnerability and the new debt sustainability framework
We investigate the empirical foundations of the New Debt Sustainability Framework (NDSF), which was recently endorsed by the IMF and the World Bank in support of low-income countries' (LICs) debt sustainability. Our empirical re-assessment questions the existence of a probabilistic relationship between the quality of countries' policies and institutions and their risk of debt distress. In contrast, we find that indicators of economic vulnerability are more significant predictors of debt distress among LICs. We argue that the NDSF is bound to distort aid allocation away from the country-specific circumstances which truly matter for the achievement of debt sustainability. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 21 (2009)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kevin Ross & R. Brooks & Robert Powell & Ydahlia A. Metzgen Quemarez & Doris C Ross & Mariano Cortes & Saqib Rizavi & Benoit Ketchekmen & Francesca Fornasari, 1998. "External Debt Histories of Ten Low-Income Developing Countries; Lessons from Their Experience," IMF Working Papers 98/72, International Monetary Fund.
- Kanbur, Ravi, 2005.
"Reforming the Formula: A Modest Proposal for Introducing Development Outcomes in IDA Allocation Procedures,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4971, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kanbur, Ravi, 2005. "Reforming the Formula: A Modest Proposal for Introducing Development Outcomes in IDA Allocation Procedures," Working Papers 127071, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Patrick GUILLAUMONT & Lisa CHAUVET, 1999.
"Aid and Performance: A Reassessment,"
- Madhur Gautam, 2003. "Debt Relief for the Poorest : An OED Review of the HIPC Initiative," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15164, April.
- Christopher L. Gilbert & Alexandra Tabova, 2005. "Can we link concessional debt service to commodity prices?," Department of Economics Working Papers 0508, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Aart Kraay & Vikram Nehru, 2006.
"When Is External Debt Sustainable?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 20(3), pages 341-365.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:21:y:2009:i:7:p:895-914. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.