International inequality in well-being
This paper examines inter-country inequality in indicators of human well-being. It is primarily concerned with inequality in two gender-related, composite indicators of development levels proposed: the Gender-related Development Index (GDI) and the Gender Empowerment Measure (GEM). A number of inequality indices are calculated using data for the period 1992 to 1998. A special interest of the paper is whether the GDI and GEM tell different stories with respect to inequality than the Human Development Index (HDI) and PPP GDP per capita. Results indicate that the answer to this question with respect to PPP GDP per capita is a qualified yes, being dependent on how this variable is measured. Other results indicate that the GEM and GDI exhibit slightly higher inequality than the HDI. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 16 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ranis, G. & Ramirez, A. & Stewart, F., 1997.
"Economic Growth and Human Development,"
787, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, 1998. "The human development index: some technical issues and alternative indices," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(5), pages 589-605.
- Bardhan, Kalpana & Klasen, Stephan, 1999.
"UNDP's Gender-Related Indices: A Critical Review,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 985-1010, June.
- Ram, Rati, 1982. "International inequality in the basic needs indicators," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 113-117, February.
- Mark McGillivray & Howard White, 1993. "Measuring development? The UNDP's human development index," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(2), pages 183-192, 03.
- Srinivasan, T. N., 1994. "Data base for development analysis Data base for development analysis: An overview," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 3-27, June.
- Sudhir Anand & Amartya Sen, 2000. "The Income Component of the Human Development Index," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106.
- J. Ram Pillarisetti, 1997. "An empirical note on inequality in the world development indicators," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 145-147.
- Ram, Rati, 1980. "Physical quality of life index and inter-country inequality," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 195-199.
- Ram Rati, 1992. "International inequalities in human development and real income," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 351-354, March.
- Wolfson, Michael C, 1994. "When Inequalities Diverge," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 353-58, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:16:y:2004:i:4:p:563-574. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.