Human development and regional disparities in Iran: a policy model
This paper argues that the future of composite indices of development such as the Human Development Index depends on how successfully they become operational and this is more likely to be possible at the country level for a variety of reasons. With this in mind the paper proposes a method and a model for the systematic reduction of regional disparities in the Islamic Republic of Iran, a problem which is of serious concern to policy makers in Iran at present. A number of indicators of education, health and economic welfare, from the recent Human Development Report of Iran, are employed to compare 26 provinces (regions) of Iran. This paper considers (i) a method for combining the data into a composite index of development and thereby ranking provinces with respect to their overall development; (ii) it proposes a method for capturing the extent of regional disparities with respect to the selected indicators, and (iii) it suggests a way of including the results into a policy model which aims at the systematic reduction of regional disparities in Iran. For this purpose it computes a set of targets for various provinces and suggests a way of adjusting these targets. Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 14 (2002)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hicks, Norman & Streeten, Paul, 1979. "Indicators of development: The search for a basic needs yardstick," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 7(6), pages 567-580, June.
- Gustav Ranis, 2000. "Strategies for Success in Human Development," Working Papers 808, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Sah, R.K. & Weitzman, M.L., 1988.
"A Proposal For Using Incentive Pre-Commitments In Public Enterprise Funding,"
558, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Kumar Sah, Raaj & Weitsman, Martin L., 1991. "A proposal for using incentive precommitments in public enterprise funding," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 595-605, June.
- Gustav Ranis and Frances Stewart, .
"Strategies for Success in Human Development,"
QEH Working Papers
qehwps32, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Srinivasan, T N, 1994. "Human Development: A New Paradigm or Reinvention of the Wheel?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 238-43, May.
- Streeten, Paul, 1994. "Human Development: Means and Ends," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 232-37, May.
- Neumayer, Eric, 2001. "The human development index and sustainability -- a constructive proposal," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 101-114, October.
- Sakiko Fukuda-Parr & Khadija Haq & Richard Jolly, 2000. "Editors' Introduction," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 7-8.
- Paul Streeten, 2000. "Looking Ahead: Areas of future research in human development," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 25-48.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, 1998.
"Standards of living, human development indices and structural adjustments in developing countries: an empirical investigation,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 751-775.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, 1999. "Standards of living, human development indices and structural adjustments in developing countries: an empirical investigation," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 151-175.
- Sudhir Anand & Amartya Sen, 2000. "The Income Component of the Human Development Index," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106.
- Sen, Amartya, 1988. "The concept of development," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 1, pages 9-26 Elsevier.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Weale, Martin, 1992. "On measuring the quality of life," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 119-131, January.
- Jonathan Temple & Paul A. Johnson, 1998. "Social Capability and Economic Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 113(3), pages 965-990.
- Mark McGillivray & Howard White, 1993. "Measuring development? The UNDP's human development index," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(2), pages 183-192, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:14:y:2002:i:7:p:927-949. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.