Migration, employment and development: a three-sector analysis
This paper introduces dynamics and migration into a three-sector general equilibrium model of LDC which systematically incorporates an Informal sector and provides a framework alternative to the Harris-Todaro-type framework. The results of the paper underscore the dynamic nature of the Informal sector and suggest that the ranking of policies to improve welfare would be considerably different in this model compared to those in the Harris-Todaro-type models. It is also argued that the framework developed here can be extended to explore a number of other issues in the context of development. Copyright © 1998 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 10 (1998)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lundborg, Per, 1990. "Rural-urban migration and the transition from traditional to modern agriculture," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 287-307, October.
- El-Gamal, Mahmoud A., 1994.
"A dynamic migration model with uncertainty,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 18(3-4), pages 511-538.
- El-Gamal, Mahmoud A., 1993. "A Dynamic Migration Model with Uncertainty," Working Papers 843, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Gupta, Manash Ranjan, 1994. "Foreign capital, income inequality and welfare in a Harris-Todaro model," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 407-414, December.
- Bencivenga, Valerie R & Smith, Bruce D, 1997. "Unemployment, Migration, and Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(3), pages 582-608, June.
- Valerie R. Bencivenga & Bruce D. Smith, 1995. "Unemployment, migration, and growth," Working Papers 561, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Banerjee, Biswajit, 1983. "The Role of the Informal Sector in the Migration Process: A Test of Probabilistic Migration Models and Labour Market Segmentation for India," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(3), pages 399-422, November.
- Prabir C. Bhattacharya, 1998. "Sector-specific sticky wages and wage subsidy: a note," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(2), pages 124-128, May.
- Prabir C. Bhattacharya, 1996. "The role of the informal sector in structural transformation: Some Indian evidence," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(1), pages 83-94. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)