Strategic response to mandatory reporting legislation in the U.S. livestock and meat industries: Are collusive opportunities enhanced?
Recent federal legislation requires U.S. meat packers to report detailed information about livestock and meat transactions. The goal of this legislation is to improve competitiveness within the livestock sector and improve decision making within the marketing channel. We discuss the effect of industry structure and market transaction information on the competitive behavior of participant firms and why this legislation may actually reduce the price paid to livestock producers. [JEL Classification: L100, L110, L120] © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Volume (Year): 17 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schroeter, John R, 1988.
"Estimating the Degree of Market Power in the Beef Packing Industry,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 70(1), pages 158-62, February.
- Schroeter, John R., 1988. "Estimating the Degree of Market Power in the Beef Packing Industry," Staff General Research Papers 11114, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Cotterill, Ronald W., 2000.
"Dynamic Explanations of Industry Structure and Performance,"
25224, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Ronald W. Cotterill, 2000. "Dynamic Explanations of Industry Structure and Performance," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 053, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Lawrence, John D. & Shafer, John & Hayenga, Marvin L., 1996. "Valuing Public Price Reporting: The Iowa Experience," Staff General Research Papers 5148, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Fausti, Scott W. & Feuz, Dillon M. & Wagner, John J., 1998. "Value Based Marketing For Fed Cattle: A Discussion Of The Issues," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 1(01).
- Schroeter, John R. & Azzam, Azzeddine M., 1991. "Marketing Margins, Market Power, and Price Uncertainty," Staff General Research Papers 11110, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Lawrence, John D. & Shaffer, John A. & Hayenga, Marvin L., 1996. "Valuing Public Price Reporting: The Iowa Experience," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 14(1).
- Wilson, William W. & Dahl, Bruce L. & Johnson, D. Demcey, 1999. "Transparency And Bidding Competition In International Wheat Trade," Agricultural Economics Reports 23403, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:17:y:2001:i:2:p:177-195. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.