Strategic response to mandatory reporting legislation in the U.S. livestock and meat industries: Are collusive opportunities enhanced?
Recent federal legislation requires U.S. meat packers to report detailed information about livestock and meat transactions. The goal of this legislation is to improve competitiveness within the livestock sector and improve decision making within the marketing channel. We discuss the effect of industry structure and market transaction information on the competitive behavior of participant firms and why this legislation may actually reduce the price paid to livestock producers. [JEL Classification: L100, L110, L120] © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Volume (Year): 17 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- W. Timothy Rhodus & E. Dean Baldwin & Dennis R. Henderson, 1989. "Pricing Accuracy and Efficiency in a Pilot Electronic Hog Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 71(4), pages 874-882.
- Lawrence, John D. & Shafer, John & Hayenga, Marvin L., 1996. "Valuing Public Price Reporting: The Iowa Experience," Staff General Research Papers Archive 5148, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Wilson, William W. & Dahl, Bruce L. & Johnson, D. Demcey, 1999.
"Transparency And Bidding Competition In International Wheat Trade,"
Agricultural Economics Reports
23403, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- William W. Wilson & Bruce L. Dahl, 2004. "Transparency and Bidding Competition in International Wheat Trade," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 52(1), pages 89-105, 03.
- Schroeter, John R. & Azzam, Azzeddine M., 1991.
"Marketing Margins, Market Power, and Price Uncertainty,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
11110, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- John Schroeter & Azzeddine Azzam, 1991. "Marketing Margins, Market Power, and Price Uncertainty," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 73(4), pages 990-999.
- Schroeter, John R., 1988.
"Estimating the Degree of Market Power in the Beef Packing Industry,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
11114, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Schroeter, John R, 1988. "Estimating the Degree of Market Power in the Beef Packing Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(1), pages 158-62, February.
- Fausti, Scott W. & Feuz, Dillon M. & Wagner, John J., 1998. "Value Based Marketing For Fed Cattle: A Discussion Of The Issues," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IFAMA), vol. 1(01).
- Cotterill, Ronald W., 2000.
"Dynamic Explanations of Industry Structure and Performance,"
25224, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Ronald W. Cotterill, 2000. "Dynamic Explanations of Industry Structure and Performance," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 053, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Lawrence, John D. & Shaffer, John A. & Hayenga, Marvin L., 1996. "Valuing Public Price Reporting: The Iowa Experience," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 14(1).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:17:y:2001:i:2:p:177-195. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.