Rents and Land Prices in Japan: A Panel Cointegration Approach
The Japanese farmland market is strongly regulated, although partial deregulation and decentralization are evident. This paper examines the relationship between farmland rents and prices in Japan using recent panel cointegration methods, which admit structural breaks. Results show the presence of a cointegrating relationship with significant breaks that increased the rent/price ratio by 9% in 1967 and by 15% in 1980; prices cause rents, which supports an institutional rent-formation hypothesis; and the farmland market is inefficient.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergio H. Lence & Douglas J. Miller, 1999.
"Transaction Costs and the Present Value Model of Farmland: Iowa, 1900–1994,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(2), pages 257-272.
- Lence, Sergio H. & Miller, Douglas, 1999. "Transaction Costs and the Present Value Model of Farmland: Iowa, 1900-1994," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1535, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- ., 1998. "Neumann, John von," Chapters, in: The Elgar Companion to Classical Economics, chapter 120 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- David Canning & Peter Pedroni, 2008. "Infrastructure, Long-Run Economic Growth And Causality Tests For Cointegrated Panels," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 76(5), pages 504-527, 09.
- Falk, Barry L., 1991. "Formally Testing the Present Value Model of Farmland Prices," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11093, Iowa State University, Department of Economics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:85:y:2009:i:4:p:587-597. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.