Effect Of Debt Solvency On Farmland Values: A Panel Cointegration Approach
Farmland values in the United States represent a major component of the farm sector balance sheet. The linkage between farmland values and agricultural debt has typically been ignored in the literature. This paper attempts to make two contributions to our understanding of farmland prices. First, building on established literature, this study examines the role of debt solvency and government payments in farmland valuation. Second, from a methodological standpoint, this study incorporates both the nonstationarity dimension of farmland prices and the panel structure of the data relying on recent advances in econometric literature.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Badi H. Baltagi & Chihwa Kao, 2000. "Nonstationary Panels, Cointegration in Panels and Dynamic Panels: A Survey," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 16, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Kao, Chihwa, 1999. "Spurious regression and residual-based tests for cointegration in panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 1-44, May.
- Charles B. Moss, 1997. "Returns, Interest Rates, and Inflation: How They Explain Changes in Farmland Values," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1311-1318.
- Moss, Charles B. & Shonkwiler, John Scott & Reynolds, John E., 1989. "Government Payments To Farmers And Real Agricultural Asset Values In The 1980s," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(02), December.
- Sergio H. Lence & Douglas J. Miller, 1999.
"Transaction Costs and the Present Value Model of Farmland: Iowa, 1900–1994,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(2), pages 257-272.
- Lence, Sergio H. & Miller, Douglas, 1999. "Transaction Costs and the Present Value Model of Farmland: Iowa, 1900-1994," Staff General Research Papers 1535, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- J. Stephen Clark & K. K. Klein & Shelley J. Thompson, 1993. "Are Subsidies Capitalized into Land Values? Some Time Series Evidence from Saskatchewan," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 41(2), pages 155-168, 07.
- Harris, Richard D. F. & Tzavalis, Elias, 1999.
"Inference for unit roots in dynamic panels where the time dimension is fixed,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 201-226, August.
- Tom Doan, . "HTUNIT: RATS procedure to implement Harris-Tzavalis unit root test for panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00092, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1981. "Stock Returns, Real Activity, Inflation, and Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 545-65, September.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1988. "Why Financial Structure Matters," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(4), pages 121-26, Fall.
- Miller, Merton H, 1988.
"The Modigliani-Miller Propositions after Thirty Years,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 2(4), pages 99-120, Fall.
- Merton H. Miller, 1989. "The Modigliani-Miller Propositions After Thirty Years," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 2(1), pages 6-18.
- Innes, Robert, 1991. "Investment and government intervention in credit markets when there is asymmetric information," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 347-381, December.
- Falk, Barry L., 1991. "Formally Testing the Present Value Model of Farmland Prices," Staff General Research Papers 11093, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Alban Thomas, 1999. "A Dynamic Analysis of Land Prices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 772-784.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea04:20261. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.