The Cold Shiver of Not Giving Enough: On the Social Cost of Recycling Campaigns
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Annegrete Bruvoll & Karine Nyborg, 2002. "On the value of households' recycling efforts," Discussion Papers 316, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Fullerton, Don & Kinnaman, Thomas C, 1996.
"Household Responses to Pricing Garbage by the Bag,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 971-984, September.
- Don Fullerton & Thomas C. Kinnaman, 1994. "Household Responses for Pricing Garbage by the Bag," NBER Working Papers 4670, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Don Fullerton & Thomas C. Kinnaman, 1994. "Household Responses to Pricing Garbage by the Bag," CARE Working Papers 9402, The University of Texas at Austin, Center for Applied Research in Economics.
- Hornik, Jacob & Cherian, Joseph & Madansky, Michelle & Narayana, Chem, 1995. "Determinants of recycling behavior: A synthesis of research results," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 105-127.
- Nyborg, Karine, 2000. "Project analysis as input to public debate: Environmental valuation versus physical unit indicators," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 393-408, September.
- George L. Van Houtven & Glenn E. Morris, 1999. "Household Behavior under Alternative Pay-as-You-Throw Systems for Solid Waste Disposal," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 75(4), pages 515-537.
- Andreoni, James, 1990. "Impure Altruism and Donations to Public Goods: A Theory of Warm-Glow Giving?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(401), pages 464-477, June.
- Tiller, Kelly & Jakus, Paul M. & Park, William M., 1997. "Household Willingness To Pay For Dropoff Recycling," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(02), December.
- Medin, Hege & Nyborg, Karine & Bateman, Ian, 2001.
"The assumption of equal marginal utility of income: how much does it matter?,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 397-411, March.
- Hege Medin & Karine Nyborg & Ian Bateman, 1998. "The Assumption of Equal Marginal Utility of Income: How Much Does it Matter?," Discussion Papers 241, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Nyborg, Karine & Rege, Mari, 2003.
"Does Public Policy Crowd Out Private Contributions to Public Goods,"
Springer, vol. 115(3-4), pages 397-418, June.
- Karine Nyborg & Mari Rege, 2001. "Does Public Policy Crowd Out Private Contributions to Public Goods?," Discussion Papers 300, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Hong Seonghoon & Adams Richard M. & Love H. Alan, 1993. "An Economic Analysis of Household Recycling of Solid Wastes: The Case of Portland, Oregon," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 136-146, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Abbott, Andrew & Nandeibam, Shasikanta & O'Shea, Lucy, 2013. "Recycling: Social norms and warm-glow revisited," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(C), pages 10-18.
- Eerola, Essi & Huhtala, Anni, 2005. "Promoting Demand for Organic Food Under Preference and Income Heterogeneity," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24664, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Shigeru Matsumoto, 2014. "Spouses’ time allocation to pro-environmental activities: who is saving the environment at home?," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 159-176, March.
- Interis, Matthew G. & Haab, Timothy C., 2014.
"Overheating Willingness to Pay: Who Gets Warm Glow and What It Means for Valuation,"
Agricultural and Resource Economics Review,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(02), pages 266-278, August.
- Interis, Matthew G. & Haab, Timothy C., 2014. "Overheating Willingness to Pay: Who Gets Warm Glow and What It Means for Valuation," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 43(2), August.
- Göran Finnveden & Tomas Ekvall & Yevgeniya Arushanyan & Mattias Bisaillon & Greger Henriksson & Ulrika Gunnarsson Östling & Maria Ljunggren Söderman & Jenny Sahlin & Åsa Stenmarck & Johan Sundberg & J, 2013. "Policy Instruments towards a Sustainable Waste Management," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 5(3), pages 1-41, February.
- Gorm Kipperberg & Douglas Larson, 2012. "Heterogeneous Preferences for Community Recycling Programs," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 53(4), pages 577-604, December.
- Ek, Claes, 2015. "Prosocial Behavior and Policy Spillovers: A Multi-Activity Approach," Working Papers 2015:26, Lund University, Department of Economics, revised 11 Sep 2017.
- Mikołaj Czajkowski & Nick Hanley & Karine Nyborg, 2014.
"Social norms, morals and self-interest as determinants of pro-environment behaviour,"
2014-17, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Mikolaj Czajkowski & Nick Hanley & Karine Nyborg, 2014. "Social norms, morals and self-interest as determinants of pro-environment behaviour," Discussion Papers in Environment and Development Economics 2014-03, University of St. Andrews, School of Geography and Sustainable Development.
- Czajkowski, Mikolaj & Hanley, Nick & Nyborg, Karine, 2014. "Social norms, Morals and Self-interest as Determinants of Pro-environment Behaviours," Memorandum 18/2014, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Czajkowski, Mikolaj & Hanley, Nicholas & Nyborg, Karine, 2014. "Social norms, morals and self-interest as determinants of pro-environment behaviour," Stirling Economics Discussion Papers 2014-06, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Essi Eerola & Anni Huhtala, 2008.
"Voting for Environmental Policy Under Income and Preference Heterogeneity,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(1), pages 256-266.
- Huhtala, Anni & Eerola, Essi, 2005. "Voting for environmental policy under income and preference heterogeneity," Discussion Papers 11863, MTT Agrifood Research Finland.
- Brekke, Kjell Arne & Nyborg, Karine, 2010.
"Selfish bakers, caring nurses? A model of work motivation,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 377-394, September.
- Nyborg, Karine & Brekke, Kjell Arne, 2009. "Selfish Bakers, Caring Nurses? A Model of Work Motivation," HERO On line Working Paper Series 2008:1, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Nyborg, Karine, 2011.
"I don't want to hear about it: Rational ignorance among duty-oriented consumers,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 263-274, August.
- Nyborg, Karine, 2008. "I Don't Want to Hear About it: Rational Ignorance among Duty-Oriented Consumers," Memorandum 15/2008, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Brekke, Kjell Arne & Kipperberg, Gorm & Nyborg, Karine, 2009. "Reluctant Recyclers: Social Interaction in Responsibility Ascription," Memorandum 16/2007, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Kallbekken, Steffen & Westskog, Hege & Mideksa, Torben K., 2010. "Appeals to social norms as policy instruments to address consumption externalities," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 447-454, August.
- Heller, Marit H. & Vatn, Arild, 2017. "The divisive and disruptive effect of a weight-based waste fee," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 131(C), pages 275-285.
- Blasch, Julia & Ohndorf, Markus, 2015. "Altruism, moral norms and social approval: Joint determinants of individual offset behavior," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(C), pages 251-260.
- Interis, Matthew G. & Haab, Timothy C., 2011. "Woodsy the optimal owl: Environmental campaigns, norms, and implications for public goods policy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(12), pages 2327-2333.
- Thomas Aronsson & Tomas Sjögren, 2010.
"Optimal income taxation and social norms in the labor market,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 17(1), pages 67-89, February.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Sjögren, Tomas, 2006. "Optimal Income Taxation and Social Norms in the Labor Market," Umeå Economic Studies 672, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Bohara, Alok K. & Caplan, Arthur J. & Grijalva, Therese, 2007. "The effect of experience and quantity-based pricing on the valuation of a curbside recycling program," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 433-443, December.
- repec:sss:wpaper:201403 is not listed on IDEAS
- Campbell, Benjamin L. & Khachatryan, Hayk & Behe, Bridget K. & Hall, Charles & Dennis, Jennifer, 2014. "Crunch the Can or Throw the Bottle? Effect of “Bottle Deposit Laws” and Municipal Recycling Programs," 2014 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2014, Minneapolis, Minnesota 170379, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Massimiliano Agovino & Mariaconcetta Casaccia & Alessandro Crociata, 2017. "Effectiveness and efficiency of European Regional Development Fund on separate waste collection: evidence from Italian regions by a stochastic frontier approach," Economia Politica: Journal of Analytical and Institutional Economics, Springer;Fondazione Edison, vol. 34(1), pages 105-137, April.
- Shigeru Matsumoto, 2014. "The Opportunity Cost of Pro-Environmental Activities: Spending Time to Promote the Environment," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 119-130, March.
More about this item
- D6 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics
- Q24 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Land
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:80:y:2004:i:4:p539-549. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://le.uwpress.org/ .