Land Tenure Choice in Chinese Villages: The Rational versus the Political Model
The rational and political decision models are developed and tested for the land tenure choice in rural China. A novelty of the test is to link the collective decision with general relative factor scarcities. Competing hypotheses are developed for the two models and tested with panel data collected on 83 Chinese villages. The results show that neither model is strongly rejected although the political model fares slightly better in more sophisticated econometric testing. This suggests that popular political participation is emerging in Chinese villages. Implications of this finding to Chinese land policy are discussed.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yang Yao, 2000. "The Development of the Land Lease Market in Rural China," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 76(2), pages 252-266.
- Liu, Shouying & Carter, Michael R. & Yao, Yang, 1998.
"Dimensions and diversity of property rights in rural China: Dilemmas on the road to further reform,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(10), pages 1789-1806, October.
- Shouying Liu & MICHAEL R. CARTER & Yang Yao, 1996. "Dimensions and Diversity of Property Rights in Rural China: Delimmas on the Road to Further Reform," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 395, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain, 1993. "Simulation-based inference : A survey with special reference to panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-2), pages 5-33, September.
- Putterman, Louis, 1997. "On the past and future of china's township and village-owned enterprises," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1639-1655, October.
- Mullahy, John, 1986. "Specification and testing of some modified count data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 341-365, December.
- Gaynor, Martin & Putterman, Louis, 1993. "Productivity consequences of alternative land division methods in China's decollectivization An econometric analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 357-386, December.
- Li, Guo & Rozelle, Scott & Brandt, Loren, 1998.
"Tenure, land rights, and farmer investment incentives in China,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 19(1-2), September.
- Li, Guo & Rozelle, Scott & Brandt, Loren, 1998. "Tenure, land rights, and farmer investment incentives in China," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 19(1-2), pages 63-71, September.
- Murdoch, James C & Sandler, Todd & Hansen, Laurna, 1991. "An Econometric Technique for Comparing Median Voter and Oligarchy Choice Models of Collective Action: The Case of the NATO Alliance," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 624-31, November.
- Yang Yao, 2004. "Political Process and Efficient Institutional Change," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 160(3), pages 439-, September.
- Besley, Timothy, 1995. "Property Rights and Investment Incentives: Theory and Evidence from Ghana," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(5), pages 903-37, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:80:y:2004:i:4:p477-489. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.