The Supply of Birth Control Methods, Education, and Fertility: Evidence from Romania
This paper investigates the effect of the supply of birth control methods on fertility behavior by examining Romania’s 23-year period of pronatalist policies. Following the lifting of the restrictions in 1989 the immediate decrease in fertility was 30 percent. Women who spent most of their reproductive years under the restrictive regime experienced increases in life-cycle fertility of about 0.5 children. Less-educated women had bigger increases in fertility after policy implementation and larger fertility decreases following the lifting of restrictions. These findings suggest that access to abortion and birth control are significant determinants of fertility levels, particularly for less-educated women.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elizabeth Oltmans Ananat & Jonathan Gruber & Phillip Levine, 2007.
"Abortion Legalization and Life-Cycle Fertility,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 42(2).
- Richard Easterlin, 1980. "Introduction to "Population and Economic Change in Developing Countries"," NBER Chapters, in: Population and Economic Change in Developing Countries, pages 1-4 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard A. Easterlin, 1980. "Population and Economic Change in Developing Countries," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number east80-1, June.
- Paul Gertler & Jack Molyneaux, 1994. "Erratum to: How Economic Development and Family Planning Programs Combined to Reduce Indonesian Fertility," Demography, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages nil1-nil1, May.
- Paul Gertler & John Molyneaux, 1994. "How economic development and family planning programs combined to reduce indonesian fertility," Demography, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 33-63, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:jhriss:v:45:y:2010:i:4:p:971-997. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.