Financial depression and the profitability of the banking sector of the Republic of Korea: panel evidence on bank-specific and macroeconomic determinants
The paper provides new empirical evidence on factors that determine the profitability of the banking sector of the Republic of Korea. The empirical findings indicate that the banks of the Republic of Korea with high capitalization levels tend to have higher profitability levels. However, the impact of credit is consistently negative under both controlled and uncontrolled macroeconomic and financial conditions. Meanwhile, the effect of the business cycle towards the profitability of banks are mixed. On the one hand, inflation displays a pro-cyclical impact, while gross domestic product (GDP) has a counter-cyclical influence on the banks’ profitability. The findings also indicate that the industry concentration of the national banking system has a positive as well as a significant effect on the banks. The study is based on data from the period 1994-2008. This period is broken down into 4 sub-periods, the tranquil period before the Asian financial crisis (1994-1996), the Asian financial crisis (1997-1998), the tranquil period between the Asian financial crisis and recent global financial crisis (1999-2008) and recent global crisis (2008). The impacts of both the Asian financial crisis and the recent global financial crisis are negative, while the banks have been relatively more profitable during both the tranquil periods.
Volume (Year): 17 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (66-2) 288-1234
Fax: (66-2) 288-1000
Web page: http://www.unescap.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Isik, Ihsan & Hassan, M. Kabir, 2002. "Technical, scale and allocative efficiencies of Turkish banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 719-766, April.
- Ihsan Isik & M. Kabir Hassan, 2003. "Efficiency, Ownership and Market Structure, Corporate Control and Governance in the Turkish Banking Industry," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(9-10), pages 1363-1421.
- Kosmidou, Kyriaki & Pasiouras, Fotios & Tsaklanganos, Angelos, 2007. "Domestic and multinational determinants of foreign bank profits: The case of Greek banks operating abroad," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Jalal D. Akhavein & Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"The effects of megamergers on efficiency and prices: evidence from a bank profit function,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-9, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jalal D. Akhavein & Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1996. "The Effects of Megamergers on Efficiency and Prices: Evidence from a Bank Profit Function," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-03, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Fadzlan Sufian & Muzafar Habibullah, 2009.
"Bank specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability: Empirical evidence from the China banking sector,"
Frontiers of Economics in China,
Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 274-291, June.
- Fadzlan SUFIAN & Muzafar Shah HABIBULLAH, 2009. "Bank specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability: Empirical evidence from the China banking sector," Frontiers of Economics in China, Higher Education Press, vol. 4(2), pages 274-291, June.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Michele Gambera, 1999.
"Banking Market Structure, Financial Dependence and Growth: International Evidence from Industry Data,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
00-19, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Nicola Cetorelli, 2001. "Banking Market Structure, Financial Dependence and Growth: International Evidence from Industry Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 617-648, 04.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Michele Gambera, 1999. "Banking market structure, financial dependence and growth: international evidence from industry data," Working Paper Series WP-99-8, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Michelle Clark Neely & David C. Wheelock, 1997. "Why does bank performance vary across states?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 27-40.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Gibson, Heather D, 2001. "Greek Banking at the Dawn of the New Millennium," CEPR Discussion Papers 2791, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Demirguc, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1999.
"Determinants of Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Some International Evidence,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998. "Determinants of commercial bank interest margins and profitability : some international evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1900, The World Bank.
- David Hauner, 2004.
"Explaining Efficiency Differences Among Large German and Austrian Banks,"
IMF Working Papers
04/140, International Monetary Fund.
- David Hauner, 2005. "Explaining efficiency differences among large German and Austrian banks," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(9), pages 969-980.
- J.A. Bikker & H. Hu, 2003. "Cyclical Patterns in Profits, Provisioning and Lending of Banks," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 86, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Samy Bennaceur, Mohamed Goaied, 2008. "The Determinant of Commercial Bank Interest Margin and Profitability: Evidence from Tunisia," Frontiers in Finance and Economics, SKEMA Business School, vol. 5(1), pages 106-130, April.
- Kyriaki Kosmidou, 2008. "The determinants of banks' profits in Greece during the period of EU financial integration," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(3), pages 146-159.
- Altunbas, Y. & Gardener, E. P. M. & Molyneux, P. & Moore, B., 2001. "Efficiency in European banking," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1931-1955, December.
- Stephen Miller & Athanasios Noulas, 1997. "Portfolio mix and large-bank profitability in the USA," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(4), pages 505-512.
- Samy Ben Naceur & Mohammed Omran, 2008. "The Effects of Bank Regulations, Competition and Financial Reforms on MENA Banks’ Profitability," Working Papers 449, Economic Research Forum, revised Oct 2008.
- Kyriaki Kosmidou & Constantin Zopounidis, 2008. "Measurement of Bank Performance in Greece," South-Eastern Europe Journal of Economics, Association of Economic Universities of South and Eastern Europe and the Black Sea Region, vol. 6(1), pages 79-95.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unt:jnapdj:v:17:y:2010:i:2:p:65-92. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Macroeconomic Policy and Development Division, ESCAP)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.