Trade Liberalization, Technical Change and Firm Level Restructuring in the South African Automotive Component Sector
This paper examines the interplay between trade liberalization and the processes of learning, technical change and capability development in the South African automotive component sector. Using case studies based on firm level interviews conducted at various points since 1992, it illustrates how the technological capabilities of the industry were shaped by protection, and how this in turn mediated responses to trade liberalization initially via internal restructuring and more recently in the phase of internationalization and growing foreign ownership. In essence, the paper presents a ‘before and after’ picture of firm level responses to liberalization.
Volume (Year): 3 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://ijie.um.edu.my
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rajneesh Narula & John Dunning, 2000. "Industrial Development, Globalization and Multinational Enterprises: New Realities for Developing Countries," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(2), pages 141-167.
- Rajah Rasiah, 2007. "Export Orientation and Technological Intensities in Auto Parts Firms in East and Southeast Asia: Does Ownership Matter?," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 6(2), pages 55-76, May.
- Anthony Black, 2001. "Globalization and restructuring in the South African automotive industry," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(6), pages 779-796.
- Pirela, Arnoldo & Rengifo, Rafael & Mercado, Alexis & Arvanitis, Rigas, 1993. "Technological learning and entrepreneurial behaviour: A taxonomy of the chemical industry in Venezuela," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(5-6), pages 431-453, November.
- Haddad, Mona & Harrison, Ann, 1993. "Are there positive spillovers from direct foreign investment? : Evidence from panel data for Morocco," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 51-74, October.
- Rajah Rasiah, 2011. "Ownership, R&D and export intensities of automotive parts firms in East Asia," Asia Pacific Business Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(2), pages 143-160, April.
- Anthony Black, 2009. "Location, Automotive Policy, and Multinational Strategy: The Position of South Africa in the Global Industry since 1995," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 483-512.
- Teitel, Simon & Thoumi, Francisco E, 1986. "From Import Substitution to Exports: The Manufacturing Exports Experience of Argentina and Brazil," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(3), pages 455-90, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:umk:journl:v:3:y:2011:i:2:p:173-202. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Professor Dr. Rajah Rasiah)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.