Financial Liberalization, Crises, and Economic Growth
The paper computes the effect of financial liberalization on economic growth by combining the results of a panel model with those of a probit model. It finds a positive net effect from financial liberalization to growth. Surprisingly, we find that the net effect on growth is larger in the crisis-experienced country group than in the overall sample group. Our guess is that the crisis-experienced countries are mostly developing countries that usually enjoy higher growth rates than the developed countries because of the catching-up phenomenon. The paper also studies the link between financial liberalization and nominal interest rates, and finds, contrary to expectations, that the direct liberalization effect is positive. Our guess is that this reflected the overshooting of interest rates after crises. (c) 2008 The Earth Institute at Columbia University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 7 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.mitpressjournals.org/loi/asep|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996.
"The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian Lundblad, 2004.
"Does Financial Liberalization Spur Growth?,"
Working Paper Research
53, National Bank of Belgium.
- Peter Blair Henry, 2006.
"Capital account liberalization: theory, evidence, and speculation,"
Working Paper Series
2007-32, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Peter Blair Henry, 2007. "Capital Account Liberalization: Theory, Evidence, and Speculation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 45(4), pages 887-935, December.
- Peter Blair Henry, 2006. "Capital Account Liberalization: Theory, Evidence, and Speculation," NBER Working Papers 12698, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Henry, Peter B., 2006. "Capital Account Liberalization: Theory, Evidence, and Speculation," Research Papers 1951, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Henry, Peter B., 2007. "Capital Account Liberalization: Theory, Evidence, and Speculation," Research Papers 1974, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Romain Ranciere & Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann, 2006.
"Decomposing the Effects of Financial Liberalization: Crises vs. Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
12806, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ranciere, Romain & Tornell, Aaron & Westermann, Frank, 2006. "Decomposing the effects of financial liberalization: Crises vs. growth," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 3331-3348, December.
- Romain Ranciere & Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann, 2006. "Decomposing the Effects of Financial Liberalization: Crises vs. Growth," Working Papers 74, Institute of Empirical Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tpr:asiaec:v:7:y:2008:i:1:p:106-115. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Pollock-Nelson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.