SME and global industries: managing the global supply chain in the consumer electronic industry
This research takes place within a broader study, which aims to highlight the evolution strategies of the companies competing within the consumer electronics industry, and the consequent changes that have characterized the market worldwide. This paper analyzes some management and organizational issues of a me-dium Italian firm (Mivar), which has been producing television sets for almost fifty years. The aim of this paper is to underline not so much the path of Mivar growth, but the gradual loss of competitiveness, which has now led this firm to a position of total dependence on its environment. This could pro-voke the exit of Mivar from the market.Emphasizing the opportunities offered to companies by the growing inter-nationalization of the business, we highlight, however, that generally the globalization of an industrial sector does not imply a consequent internationalization of the firms operating in it. This can happen especially if the firm suffers for weaknesses due to sub-optimal size and inadequacy of its governance, like in the case of Mivar, where the lack of internationalization of its business causes several problems in managing the global supply chain, therefore compromising the system of relationships with upstream and downstream companies.
Volume (Year): 19 (2011)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 06 7259 5800
Fax: +39 06 7259 5804
Web page: http://www.economia.uniroma2.it/dsi/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Forsgren, M., 2002. "The concept of learning in the Uppsala internationalization process model: a critical review," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 257-277, June.
- R. Cellini & A. Soci, 1997. "La competitivita'," Working Papers 292, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Andersen, Poul Houman, 1999. "Organizing international technological collaboration in subcontractor relationships: an investigation of the knowledge-stickiness problem," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 625-642, August.
- Alfred D. Chandler, 1969. "Strategy and Structure: Chapters in the History of the American Industrial Enterprise," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262530090, June.
- Caves, Richard E, 1971. "International Corporations: The Industrial Economics of Foreign Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 38(149), pages 1-27, February.
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 1977. "The Internationalization Process of the Firm—A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 23-32, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tov:dsiess:v:19:y:2011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mario Risso)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.