Urbanisation, Inégalités Urbaines Et Développement En Turquie (1950-2000)
The development of urbanization and a high population growth rate in large cities are a major feature of Turkey between 1950 and 2000. The degree of urban primacy - whether we consider the share of the largest city or of the two largest cities, Istanbul and Ankara - in the national urban population, follow a bell-shaped curve along with economic development: a gradual rise between 1960 and 1980, followed by a slow decline. These two major stages which identify the urban structure can be particularly explained by the combination of two factors: the industrialization which has promoted the growth of non-agricultural employment and the rural exodus, and the transition since 1980 from Import-Substituting Industrialization policies to economic openness and export promotion strategies.
Volume (Year): 34 (2011)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://regionetdeveloppement.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davis, James C. & Henderson, J. Vernon, 2003. "Evidence on the political economy of the urbanization process," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 98-125, January.
- Gabaix, Xavier & Ioannides, Yannis M., 2004.
"The evolution of city size distributions,"
Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics,in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 53, pages 2341-2378
- Xavier Gabaix & Yannis M. Ioannides, 2003. "The Evolution of City Size Distributions," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0310, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Xavier Gabaix & Rustam Ibragimov, 2011. "Rank - 1 / 2: A Simple Way to Improve the OLS Estimation of Tail Exponents," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(1), pages 24-39, January.
- Xavier Gabaix & Rustam Ibragimov, 2007. "Rank-1/2: A Simple Way to Improve the OLS Estimation of Tail Exponents," NBER Technical Working Papers 0342, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Parr, John B., 1985. "A note on the size distribution of cities over time," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 199-212, September.
- Ayse Gedik, 2003. "Differential Urbanization in Turkey: 1955-2000," ERSA conference papers ersa03p335, European Regional Science Association.
- Ronald L. Moomaw & Mohammed A. Alwosabi, 2004. "An empirical analysis of competing explanations of urban primacy evidence from Asia and the Americas," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 38(1), pages 149-171, 03.
- Moomaw, Ronald L. & Alwosabi, Mohammed A., 2003. "An empirical analysis of competing explanations of urban primacy: Evidence from Asia and the Americas," ZEI Working Papers B 19-2003, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Alberto F. Ades & Edward L. Glaeser, 1995. "Trade and Circuses: Explaining Urban Giants," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(1), pages 195-227.
- Michel DIMOU & Alexandra SCHAFFAR, 2007. "Évolution Des Hiérarchies Urbaines Et Loi De Zipf : Le Cas Des Balkans," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 25, pages 65-86.
- Michel Dimou & Alexandra Schaffar, 2007. "Evolution des hiérarchies urbaines et loi de Zipf. Le cas des Balkans," Post-Print hal-01295765, HAL.
- Maurice Catin & Christophe Van Huffel, 2003. "Concentration urbaine et industrialisation," Mondes en développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 121(1), pages 87-107.
- Xavier Gabaix, 1999. "Zipf's Law for Cities: An Explanation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(3), pages 739-767. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tou:journl:v:34:y:2011:p:141-162. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe Van Huffel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.