Persistency of Output Fluctuations : The Case of Turkey
According to the conventional view, fluctuations in real gross national product (GNP) represent temporary changes of economic output from its long-term trend that treats real GNP as a trend stationary rather than unit root process. Examination of this conventional view is crucial since the properties of the fluctuations has an important role in estimation, forecasting and consequently for the evaluation of the economic relationships. The aim of this study is to investigate the persistency of output fluctuations in Turkey. For this purpose two widely used methods are applied. One of them uses parametric approach for measuring the persistency and the other uses non-parametric approach. Results of these two approaches show that fluctuations of output are not transitory completely as it was presumed by conventional macroeconomic view.
Volume (Year): 5 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Head Office, Istiklal Cad. 10 Ulus, 06100 Ankara|
Phone: (90 312) 507 5000
Fax: (90 312) 507 5640
Web page: http://www.tcmb.gov.tr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Y. Campbell & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1986.
"Are Output Fluctuations Transitory?,"
NBER Working Papers
1916, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cochrane, John H, 1988. "How Big Is the Random Walk in GNP?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 893-920, October.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Nelson, Charles R. & Plosser, Charles I., 1982. "Trends and random walks in macroeconmic time series : Some evidence and implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 139-162.
- Neftci, Salih N, 1984. "Are Economic Time Series Asymmetric over the Business Cycle?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(2), pages 307-28, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tcb:cebare:v:5:y:2005:i:1:p:9-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()or () or ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.