A critique of Wolak's evaluation of the NZ electricity market: Introduction and overview
This paper is the first in a symposium of papers that examine the 2009 report by Frank Wolak into the New Zealand electricity market. The Wolak report concluded that there had been a cumulative total of NZ$4.3 billion of overcharging in the New Zealand wholesale market over a period of seven years. In this paper, we introduce the Wolak findings in the context of the salient features of the New Zealand market, and explain that this headline figure is highly sensitive to some (quite unrealistic) assumptions about the structure of this market. The two papers that follow this introduction examine Wolak's methodology and its empirical application.
Volume (Year): 46 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RNZP20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RNZP20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lewis Evans & Greame Guthrie & Andrea Lu, 2010.
"A New Zealand Electricity Market Model: Assessment of the Effect of Climate Change on Electricity Production and Consumption,"
10_09, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Evans, Lewis & lu, Yinjia (Andrea) & Guthrie, Graeme, 2010. "A New Zealand Electricity Market Model: Assessment of the effect of climate change on electricity production and consumption," Working Paper Series 4058, Victoria University of Wellington, The New Zealand Institute for the Study of Competition and Regulation.
- Evans, Lewis & Guthrie, Graeme & Videbeck, Steen, 2006.
"Assessing the Integration of Electricity Markets Using Principal Component Analysis: Network and Market Structure Effects,"
Working Paper Series
3843, Victoria University of Wellington, The New Zealand Institute for the Study of Competition and Regulation.
- Lewis Evans & Graeme Guthrie & Steen Videbeck, 2008. "Assessing The Integration Of Electricity Markets Using Principal Component Analysis: Network And Market Structure Effects," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 26(1), pages 145-161, 01.
- Lewis Evans & Graeme Guthrie, 2009. "How Options Provided by Storage Affect Electricity Prices," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 681-702, January.
- Oliver Browne & Stephen Poletti & David Young, 2012. "Simulating market power in the New Zealand electricity market," New Zealand Economic Papers, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(1), pages 35-50, December.
- Baumol, William J & Bradford, David F, 1970. "Optimal Departures from Marginal Cost Pricing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 265-283, June.
- Bushnell, James & Mansur, Erin T. & Saravia, Celeste, 2008.
"Vertical Arrangements, Market Structure and Competition: An Analysis of Restructured U.S. Electricity Markets,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
13130, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- James B. Bushnell & Erin T. Mansur & Celeste Saravia, 2008. "Vertical Arrangements, Market Structure, and Competition: An Analysis of Restructured US Electricity Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(1), pages 237-266, March.
- James B. Bushnell & Erin T. Mansur & Celeste Saravia, 2007. "Vertical Arrangements, Market Structure, and Competition An Analysis of Restructured U.S. Electricity Markets," NBER Working Papers 13507, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:nzecpp:v:46:y:2012:i:1:p:1-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.