A Critique of Wolak’s Evaluation of the NZ Electricity Market: Introduction and Overview
This paper is the first in a symposium of papers that examine the 2009 report by Frank Wolak into the New Zealand electricity market. The Wolak report concluded that there had been a cumulative total of $4.3b (NZD) of overcharging in the New Zealand wholesale market over a period of seven years. In this paper, we introduce the Wolak findings in the context of the salient features of the New Zealand market, and explain that this headline figure is highly sensitive to some (quite unrealistic) assumptions about the structure of this market. The papers that follow this introduction (Hogan and Jackson, 2011, and Evans and Guthrie, 2011) examine Wolak’s methodology and its empirical application.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 64 3 369 3123 (Administrator)
Fax: 64 3 364 2635
Web page: http://www.econ.canterbury.ac.nz
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evans, Lewis & Guthrie, Graeme & Videbeck, Steen, 2006.
"Assessing the Integration of Electricity Markets Using Principal Component Analysis: Network and Market Structure Effects,"
Working Paper Series
3843, Victoria University of Wellington, The New Zealand Institute for the Study of Competition and Regulation.
- Lewis Evans & Graeme Guthrie & Steen Videbeck, 2008. "Assessing The Integration Of Electricity Markets Using Principal Component Analysis: Network And Market Structure Effects," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 26(1), pages 145-161, 01.
- Lewis Evans & Greame Guthrie & Andrea Lu, 2010.
"A New Zealand Electricity Market Model: Assessment of the Effect of Climate Change on Electricity Production and Consumption,"
10_09, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Evans, Lewis & lu, Yinjia (Andrea) & Guthrie, Graeme, 2010. "A New Zealand Electricity Market Model: Assessment of the effect of climate change on electricity production and consumption," Working Paper Series 4058, Victoria University of Wellington, The New Zealand Institute for the Study of Competition and Regulation.
- Bushnell, James & Mansur, Erin T. & Saravia, Celeste, 2008.
"Vertical Arrangements, Market Structure and Competition: An Analysis of Restructured U.S. Electricity Markets,"
Staff General Research Papers
13130, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- James B. Bushnell & Erin T. Mansur & Celeste Saravia, 2008. "Vertical Arrangements, Market Structure, and Competition: An Analysis of Restructured US Electricity Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(1), pages 237-66, March.
- James B. Bushnell & Erin T. Mansur & Celeste Saravia, 2007. "Vertical Arrangements, Market Structure, and Competition An Analysis of Restructured U.S. Electricity Markets," NBER Working Papers 13507, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baumol, William J & Bradford, David F, 1970. "Optimal Departures from Marginal Cost Pricing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 265-83, June.
- Lewis Evans & Graeme Guthrie, 2009. "How Options Provided by Storage Affect Electricity Prices," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 681–702, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbt:econwp:11/08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Albert Yee)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.