Openness and Economic Performance: A Comparative Study of China and the Asian NIEs
Being the world's largest developing economy, China's successful economic performance since 1978 has had a powerful impact on the global economy. Its open policy features an evolutionary process, involving the gradual liberalization of foreign exchange, international trade and foreign direct investments. This paper evaluates how this evolutionary process has contributed to China's economic success in comparison with the development experiences of the Asian newly industrialized economies (NIEs). It concludes that despite the economic crisis in 1997-98, China and the NIEs represent a successful development model, which is built upon openness and huge investments in physical and human capital.
Volume (Year): 1 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RCEA20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RCEA20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rozelle Scott, 1994. "Rural Industrialization and Increasing Inequality: Emerging Patterns in China's Reforming Economy," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 362-391, December.
- Xiaming Liu & Haiyan Song & Yingqi Wei & Peter Romilly, 1997. "Country characteristics and foreign direct investment in China: A panel data analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(2), pages 313-329, 06.
- Islam, Nazrul, 1995. "Growth Empirics: A Panel Data Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(4), pages 1127-70, November.
- Balassa, Bela, 1988. "The interaction of factor and product market distortions in developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 449-463, April.
- Harrold, Peter, 1995. "China: Foreign Trade Reform: Now for the Hard Part," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(4), pages 133-46, Winter.
- Fleisher, Belton M. & Chen, Jian, 1997. "The Coast-Noncoast Income Gap, Productivity, and Regional Economic Policy in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 220-236, October.
- Pomfret, Richard, 1997. "Growth and Transition: Why Has China's Performance Been So Different?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 422-440, December.
- Malcolm Dowling, 1997. "Asia's Economic Miracle: An Historical Perspective," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 30(1), pages 113-123.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Groves, Theodore, et al, 1994. "Autonomy and Incentives in Chinese State Enterprises," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(1), pages 183-209, February.
- Sala-i-martin, X., 1995.
"The Classical Approach to Convergence Analysis,"
734, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1995. "The classical approach to convergence analysis," Economics Working Papers 117, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1995. "The Classical Approach to Convergence Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 1254, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Steven Radelet & Jeffrey D. Sachs, 1998. "The East Asian Financial Crisis: Diagnosis, Remedies, Prospects," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 29(1), pages 1-90.
- Brada, Josef C & Kutan, Ali M & Zhou, Su, 1993. " China's Exchange Rate and the Balance of Trade," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 229-42.
- Greenaway, David, 1998. "Does Trade Liberalisation Promote Economic Development?," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 45(5), pages 491-511, November.
- Chou, W. L. & Shih, Y. C., 1998. "The Equilibrium Exchange Rate of the Chinese Renminbi," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 165-174, March.
- Yao, Shujie, 2000. "Economic Development and Poverty Reduction in China over 20 Years of Reforms," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(3), pages 447-74, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jocebs:v:1:y:2003:i:1:p:71-95. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.