Modelling market shares by segments using volatility
This paper presents the results of market share modelling for individual segments of the UK tea market using scanner panel data. The study is novel in its introduction of the use of volatility as one of the bases for segmentation, others being usage, loyalty or switching between product types and product forms. The segmentation is undertaken on an a priori, quasi-experimental basis, allowing nested tests of constancy of elasticities across segments. The estimated equations (using seemingly unrelated regressions) benefit from extensive specification, including four diff erent forms for the price variable, four variables for promotion, and six for product characteristic, distribution and macroeconomic variables. Tests for the constancy of the parameters across segments show the segmentation to be successful.
Volume (Year): 26 (1999)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CJAS20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CJAS20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zahorik, Anthony J., 1994. "A nonhierarchical brand switching model for inferring market structure," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 344-358, July.
- Gary M. Erickson, 1992. "Empirical Analysis of Closed-Loop Duopoly Advertising Strategies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(12), pages 1732-1749, December.
- Engle, R. F. & Granger, C. W. J. (ed.), 1991. "Long-Run Economic Relationships: Readings in Cointegration," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198283393, July.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Pierre Perron, 1986.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
795R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Sep 1987.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986. "Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression," Cahiers de recherche 8633, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Tom Doan, . "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Germano Mwabu & Martha Ainsworth & Andrew Nyamete, 1993. "Quality of Medical Care and Choice of Medical Treatment in Kenya: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 28(4), pages 838-862.
- Givon, Moshe & Muller, Eitan, 1994. "Cyclical patterns in brand switching behavior: An issue of pattern recognition," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 290-297, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:japsta:v:26:y:1999:i:5:p:643-660. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.