Underreporting of purchases of port wine
In this paper, we develop a new approach for modelling underreported Poisson counts. The parameters of the model are estimated by Markov chain Monte Carlo simulation. An application to a real data set from a Portuguese marketing survey illustrates the fruitfulness of the approach. We find that purchases of bottles of port wine increase significantly with income class and the size of the household.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 26 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CJAS20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CJAS20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alessie, R.J.M. & Gradus, R.H.J.M. & Melenberg, B., 1987.
"The problem of not observing small expenditures in a consumer expenditure survey,"
FEW 293, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Alessie, Rob & Gradus, Raymond H J M & Melenberg, Bertrand, 1990. "The Problem of Not Observing Small Expenditures in a Consumer Expenditure Survey," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(2), pages 151-66, April-Jun.
- Winkelmann, Rainer & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1995. " Recent Developments in Count Data Modelling: Theory and Application," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Cameron, A Colin & Trivedi, Pravin K, 1986. "Econometric Models Based on Count Data: Comparisons and Applications of Some Estimators and Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(1), pages 29-53, January.
- van Praag, B M S & Vermeulen, E M, 1993. "A Count-Amount Model with Endogenous Recording of Observations," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 383-95, Oct.-Dec..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:japsta:v:26:y:1999:i:4:p:485-494. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.