Aggregate Demand, Aggregate Supply and Economic Growth
While mainstream growth theory in its neoclassical and new growth theory incarnations has no place for aggregate demand, Keynesian growth models in which aggregate demand determines growth neglect the role of aggregate supply. By assuming that the rate of technological change responds to labour market conditions, this paper develops a simple and conventional growth model that integrates the roles of aggregate demand and aggregate supply. The model shows how the long-run equilibrium growth rate of the economy, at which the unemployment rate is constant, can be affected by aggregate demand.
Volume (Year): 20 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIRA20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CIRA20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Setterfield, 2003. "Supply and Demand in the Theory of Long-run Growth: Introduction to a symposium on demand-led growth," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 23-32.
- Mark Gertler & Jordi Gali & Richard Clarida, 1999.
"The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," NBER Working Papers 7147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clarida, Richard & Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 2139, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1997. "The science of monetary policy: A new Keynesian perspective," Economics Working Papers 356, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 1999.
- Clarida, R. & Gali, J. & Gertler, M., 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," Working Papers 99-13, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Thomas I. Palley, 1996. "Growth Theory in a Keynesian Mode: Some Keynesian Foundations for New Endogenous Growth Theory," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 19(1), pages 113-135, October.
- Miguel A. León-Ledesma & A. P. Thirlwall, 1998.
"The Endogeneity of the Natural Rate of Growth,"
Studies in Economics
9821, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Lavoie, M., 1992.
"The Kaleckian Model of Growth and Distribution and its Neo-Ricardian and Neo-Marxian Critiques,"
9201e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Lavoie, Marc, 1995. "The Kaleckian Model of Growth and Distribution and Its Neo-Ricardian and Neo-Marxian Critiques," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(6), pages 789-818, December.
- Nelson, Charles R. & Plosser, Charles I., 1982. "Trends and random walks in macroeconmic time series : Some evidence and implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 139-162.
- Marc Lavoie, 2003. "Kaleckian Effective Demand and Sraffian Normal Prices: Towards a reconciliation," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 53-74.
- Dutt, Amitava Krishna, 1984. "Stagnation, Income Distribution and Monopoly Power," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(1), pages 25-40, March.
- Blanchard, Olivier J. & Summers, Lawrence H., 1987.
"Hysteresis in unemployment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 288-295.
- Thomas I. Palley, 2002.
"Pitfalls in the Theory of Growth: An Application to the Balance-of-Payments-Constrained Growth Model,"
in: The Economics of Demand-Led Growth, chapter 7
- Thomas Palley, 2003. "Pitfalls in the Theory of Growth: An application to the balance of payments constrained growth model," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 75-84.
- Martin, Philippe & Rogers, Carol Ann, 1995.
"Stabilization Policy, Learning by Doing, and Economic Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1130, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin, Philippe & Rogers, Carol Ann, 1997. "Stabilization Policy, Learning-by-Doing, and Economic Growth," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(2), pages 152-66, April.
- Adalmir Marquetti, 2004. "Do Rising Real Wages Increase The Rate Of Labor-Saving Technical Change? Some Econometric Evidence," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(4), pages 432-441, November.
- Thomas I. Palley, 1997. "Aggregate Demand and Endogenous Growth: a Generalized Keynes-Kaldor Model of Economic Growth," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(2), pages 161-176, 06.
- Frank Hahn & Robert Solow, 1997. "A Critical Essay on Modern Macroeconomic Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026258154x, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:irapec:v:20:y:2006:i:3:p:319-336. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.