The Balance of Payments Constraint and the Post 1973 Slowdown of Economic Growth in the G7 Economies
This paper presents estimates of export and import demand functions for the G7 economies over the period 1956 to 1995 and over two sub-periods 1956-73 and 1974-95. These estimates are used to construct predictions of the equilibrium growth rates for these economies by use of the 'Thirlwall's Law' relationship. The estimates are consistent with observed cross country growth patterns over the whole sample and the post 1973 period but are less convincing in the pre 1973 sub-period. It is argued that the slowdown in economic growth after 1973 can be partly explained by the growing internationalisation of the world economy coupled with a slowdown in the overall growth of world trade.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIRA20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CIRA20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-1037, October.
- Paul M Romer, 1999. "Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth," Levine's Working Paper Archive 2232, David K. Levine.
- J. S. L. McCombie, 1993. "Economic Growth, Trade Interlinkages, and the Balance-of-Payments Constraint," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 15(4), pages 471-505, July.
- John S. L. McCombie, 1997. "On the Empirics of Balance-of-Payments-Constrained Growth," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 19(3), pages 345-375, April.
- Jonathan Perraton & Paul Turner, 1999. "Estimates of industrial country export and import demand functions: implications for 'Thirlwall's Law'," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(11), pages 723-727.
- J. S. L. McCombie & A. P. Thirlwall, 1997. "The Dynamic Harrod Foreign Trade Multiplier and the Demand-orientated Approach to Economic Growth: an Evaluation," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 5-26.
- Paul Davidson, 1997. "Introduction," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 19(3), pages 311-312, April.
- H. Sonmez Atesoglu, 1994. "Balance of payments determined growth in Germany," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(6), pages 89-91.
- Robert A. Blecker, 1992. "Structural Roots of U.S. Trade Problems: Income Elasticities, Secular Trends, and Hysteresis," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 14(3), pages 321-346, April.
- H. Sonmez Atesoglu, 1995. "An explanation of the slowdown in US economic growth," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(4), pages 91-94.
- James G. MacKinnon, 1990. "Critical Values for Cointegration Tests," Working Papers 1227, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- James G. MacKinnon, 2010. "Critical Values for Cointegration Tests," Working Papers 1227, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "EGTEST: RATS procedure to compute Engle-Granger test for Cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTS00061, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:irapec:v:13:y:1999:i:1:p:41-53. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Longhurst)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.