Asymmetric adjustment towards long-run PPP: Some new evidence for Asian economies
This paper investigates relative purchasing power parity for a sample of nine Asian economies during the post-Bretton Woods floating exchange rate era. While most existing studies of purchasing power parity employ linear tests of non-stationarity or non-cointegration, we employ a new cointegration test, recently advocated by Enders & Siklos and Enders & Dibooglu, that tests for an asymmetric adjustment towards parity with respect to positive and negative real exchange rate deviations from parity. In most cases, we find that long-run purchasing power parity is most likely to hold with respect to positive deviations only.
Volume (Year): 20 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RIEJ20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Georgios Chortareas & George Kapetanios, 2004.
"The Yen Real Exchange Rate may be Stationary after all: Evidence from Non-linear Unit-root Tests,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 66(1), pages 113-131, 02.
- Georgios Chortareas & George Kapetanios, 2003. "The Yen Real Exchange Rate May Be Stationary after All: Evidence from Nonlinear Unit-Root Tests," Working Papers 484, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Georgios Chortareas & George Kapetanios, 2006. "The yen real exchange rate may be stationary after all: evidence from non-linear unit root tests," Bank of England working papers 311, Bank of England.
- Enders, Walter & Siklos, Pierre L, 2001. "Cointegration and Threshold Adjustment," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(2), pages 166-176, April.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "ENDERSIKLOS: RATS procedure to perform Enders-Siklos test for cointegration with threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00064, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Enders-Siklos(2001) JBES paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00053, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Papell, David H., 1997. "Searching for stationarity: Purchasing power parity under the current float," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 313-332, November.
- Kuo, Shew-Huei & Enders, Walter, 2004. "The term structure of Japanese interest rates:: The equilibrium spread with asymmetric dynamics," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 84-98, March.
- Syed Abul Basher & Mohammed Mohsin, 2004. "PPP tests in cointegrated panels: evidence from Asian developing countries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 163-166.
- Syed Abul Basher & Mohammed Mohsin, 2002. "Ppp Tests In Cointegrated Panels: Evidence From Asian Developing Countries," Working Papers 2002_05, York University, Department of Economics.
- Syed A. Basher & Mohammed Mohsin, 2003. ""PPP tests in cointegrated panels: Evidence from Asian developing countries"," Macroeconomics 0310013, EconWPA.
- Syed A. Basher & Mohammed Mohsin, 2003. ""PPP tests in cointegrated panels: Evidence from Asian developing countries"," Macroeconomics 0310012, EconWPA.
- Matteo Iannizzotto, 2001. "Exchange rate misalignment and nonlinear convergence to purchasing power parity in the European exchange rate mechanism," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 511-526.
- Azali, M. & Habibullah, M. S. & Baharumshah, A. Z., 2001. "Does PPP hold between Asian and Japanese economies? Evidence using panel unit root and panel cointegration," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 35-50, January.
- James Peery Cover, 1992. "Asymmetric Effects of Positive and Negative Money-Supply Shocks," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(4), pages 1261-1282.
- Hakkio, Craig S., 1984. "A re-examination of purchasing power parity : A multi-country and multi-period study," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3-4), pages 265-277, November.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-384, March.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1980. "Exchange Rate Economics: Where Do We Stand?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 11(1, Tenth ), pages 143-206.
- Karras, Georgios, 1996. "Are the Output Effects of Monetary Policy Asymmetric? Evidence from a Sample of European Countries," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(2), pages 267-278, May.
- Michael, Panos & Nobay, A Robert & Peel, David A, 1997. "Transactions Costs and Nonlinear Adjustment in Real Exchange Rates: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(4), pages 862-879, August.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Michael-Nobay-Peel ESTAR models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00113, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Crownover, Collin & Pippenger, John & Steigerwald, Douglas G., 1996. "Testing for absolute purchasing power parity," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 783-796, October.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen, 1993. "Purchasing power parity based on effective exchange rate and cointegration: 25 LDCs' experience with its absolute formulation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1023-1031, June.
- Holmes, Mark J., 2001. "New Evidence on Real Exchange Rate Stationarity and Purchasing Power Parity in Less Developed Countries," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 601-614, October.
- Walter Enders & Selahattin Dibooglu, 2001. "Long-Run Purchasing Power Parity with Asymmetric Adjustment," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 433-445, October.
- Walter Enders & Kamol Chumrusphonlert, 2004. "Threshold cointegration and purchasing power parity in the pacific nations," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 889-896.
- Ping Wang, 2000. "Testing PPP for Asian economies during the recent floating period," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(8), pages 545-548.
- Hansen Bruce E., 1997. "Inference in TAR Models," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-16, April.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "THRESHTEST: RATS procedure to perform Hansen's Test for Threshold Break," Statistical Software Components RTS00210, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Apostolos Serletis & Periklis Gogas, 2000. "Purchasing power parity, nonlinearity and chaos," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(6), pages 615-622. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)