Monetary Policy and the Exchange Rate: The Role of Openness
This paper examines whether the effects of monetary police on the exchange rate depend on the openness of the economy. Theoretically, openness can be shown to have an ambiguous effect on the ability of money to influence the exchange rate, so the issue has to be resolved empirically. Using annual data from the 1953-1990 period for a panel of 37 countries, the empirical results indicate that the effects of monetary policy on the exchange rate are negatively affected by the economy' s openness. Therefore, the more open the economy, the smaller the (short-run) depreciation effects of a given increase in the money growth rate (in the long run, relative PPP applies). This finding is robust to a number to different specifications. [E52, F41]
Volume (Year): 13 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RIEJ20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- David Romer, 1991.
"Openness and inflation: theory and evidence,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1981. "Monetary Policy and Foreign Price Disturbances under Flexible Exchange Rates: A Stochastic Approach," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 13(2), pages 156-76, May.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J & Basar, Tamer & d'Orey, Vasco, 1988.
"Dynamic Strategic Monetary Policies and Coordination in Interdependent Economies,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 341-61, June.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky & Tamer Basar & Vasco d'Orey, 1987. "Dynamic Strategic Monetary Policies and Coordination in Interdependent Economies," NBER Working Papers 2467, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karras, Georgios, 1996. "Are the Output Effects of Monetary Policy Asymmetric? Evidence from a Sample of European Countries," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(2), pages 267-78, May.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1996. "Foundations of International Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262150476, June.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:145:y::i:1:p:43-63 is not listed on IDEAS
- Karras, Georgios, 1994. "Macroeconomic effects of budget deficits: further international evidence," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 190-210, April.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Giovannini, Alberto, 1990. "Monetary policy in the open economy," Handbook of Monetary Economics, in: B. M. Friedman & F. H. Hahn (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 23, pages 1231-1303 Elsevier.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:107:y:1992:i:4:p:1261-82 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:intecj:v:13:y:1999:i:2:p:75-88. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.