Research into product costing practice: a European perspective
This paper summarizes and reviews research of product costing practice in Europe. The review considers research into how many accounting systems firms use, product cost structures, the use of blanket overhead rates in product costing, the bases used to calculate overhead rates, the application of product costs in decision making and product pricing, and the use of activity-based costing. Although significant progress has been made over the last decade in describing costing practices in Europe, further work remains to be done. Having identified gaps in, and questions arising from, previous research, the paper concludes with recommendations for future research.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REAR20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REAR20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kari Lukka & Markus Granlund, 1996. "Cost accounting in Finland: current practice and trends of development," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 1-28.
- Harrison, Graeme L. & McKinnon, Jill L., 1999. "Cross-cultural research in management control systems design: a review of the current state," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 24(5-6), pages 483-506, July.
- Anna Pistoni & Laura Zoni, 2000. "Comparative management accounting in Europe: an undergraduate education perspective," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 285-319.
- Skinner, R C, 1970. "The Determination of Selling Prices," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(3), pages 201-17, July.
- Waeytens, Dominique & Bruggeman, Werner, 1994. "Barriers to successful implementation of ABC for continuous improvement: A case study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 39-52, August.
- Gutiérrez, Isabel & Carmona, Salvador, 1998. "Vogues in management accounting research," DEE - Working Papers. Business Economics. WB 6545, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Chapman, Christopher S., 1997. "Reflections on a contingent view of accounting," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 189-205, February.
- Chow, Chee W. & Shields, Michael D. & Wu, Anne, 1999. "The importance of national culture in the design of and preference for management controls for multi-national operations," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 24(5-6), pages 441-461, July.
- Colin Drury & Mike Tayles, 1994. "Product costing in UK manufacturing organizations," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(3), pages 443-470.
- Whitley, R., 1999. "Firms, institutions and management control: the comparative analysis of coordination and control systems," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 24(5-6), pages 507-524, July.
- Otley, David T., 1980. "The contingency theory of management accounting: Achievement and prognosis," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 413-428, October.
- Malmi, Teemu, 1999. "Activity-based costing diffusion across organizations: an exploratory empirical analysis of Finnish firms," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 24(8), pages 649-672, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:euract:v:10:y:2001:i:2:p:215-256. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.