Implementing a 'bottom-up,' multi-sector research collaboration: The case of the Texas air quality study
The vast majority of research collaboration among firms is informal. Unfortunately, little research has focused on informal, multi-institutional research collaboration, partly because by their very nature these collaborations are difficult to study systematically. In this study, we employ case study methodology to examine a large-scale research collaboration, the 2000 Texas Air Quality Study, which could be labeled 'multi-sector, multi-institution' and 'informal.' We develop the case based on a contingency model of research collaboration effectiveness, our chief objective being to assess the impact of various characteristics of the collaboration on the project's outcomes. We find the case to align with the terms of the model, thereby distilling some implications for a theory of research collaboration effectiveness, at least within the domain of large-scale, multi-institutional, multi-sector research collaborations.
Volume (Year): 15 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GEIN20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/GEIN20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atallah, G., 2000.
"Information Sharing and the Stability of Cooperation in Research Joint Ventures,"
Cahiers de recherche
2000-17, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Gamal Atallah, 2003. "Information sharing and the stability of cooperation in research joint ventures," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(6), pages 531-554.
- Gamal Atallah, 2000. "Information Sharing and the Stability of Cooperation in Research Joint Ventures," CIRANO Working Papers 2000s-53, CIRANO.
- ATALLAH, Gamal, 2000. "Information Sharing and the Stability of Cooperation in Research Joint Ventures," Cahiers de recherche 2000-17, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Gamal Atallah, 2000. "Information sharing and the stability of cooperation in research joint ventures," Industrial Organization 0004010, EconWPA, revised 20 Mar 2002.
- Gamal Atallah, 2002. "Information Sharing and the Stability of Cooperation in Research Joint Ventures," Working Papers 0202EClassification-JEL: , University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Lee G. Branstetter & Mariko Sakakibara, 2002. "When Do Research Consortia Work Well and Why? Evidence from Japanese Panel Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(1), pages 143-159, March.
- Mowery, David C. & Oxley, Joanne E. & Silverman, Brian S., 1998. "Technological overlap and interfirm cooperation: implications for the resource-based view of the firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 507-523, September.
- Hagedoorn, John & Link, Albert N. & Vonortas, Nicholas S., 2000. "Research partnerships1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 567-586, April.
- Becker, Wolfgang & Dietz, Jurgen, 2004.
"R&D cooperation and innovation activities of firms--evidence for the German manufacturing industry,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 209-223, March.
- Wolfgang Becker & Juergen Dietz, 2002. "R&D Cooperation and Innovation Activities of Firms - Evidence for the German Manufacturing Industry -," Discussion Paper Series 222, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Raaj Kumar Sah & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1984.
"The Architecture of Economic Systems: Hierarchies and Polyarchies,"
NBER Working Papers
1334, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sah, Raaj Kumar & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1986. "The Architecture of Economic Systems: Hierarchies and Polyarchies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 716-727, September.
- Katz, J. Sylvan & Martin, Ben R., 1997. "What is research collaboration?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-18, March.
- Bozeman, Barry & Klein, Hans K., 1999. "The case study as research heuristic: lessons from the R&D value mapping project," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 91-103.
- Deepak K. Sinha & Michael A. Cusumano, 1991. "Complementary Resources and Cooperative Research: A Model of Research Joint Ventures Among Competitors," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(9), pages 1091-1106, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:ecinnt:v:15:y:2006:i:1:p:51-69. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.