Technological frontiers and competition in multi-technology sectors
This article aims to investigate some conceptual and methodological issues on the measurement of technological change in multi-technology product sectors. It develops a methodological contribution by building a measure of the technological frontier and of firms' technological positioning based on multiple technical characteristics by using data envelopment analysis techniques. The methodology is applied to the study of the technological evolution and competition in the commercial jet aero-engine industry from 1958 to 1997. The empirical analysis shows that: the overall evolution is characterised by technological discontinuities, followed by incremental developments; there is convergence on the technological frontier by all competitors; at the same time, there is persistence of less efficient products over time.
Volume (Year): 14 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1-2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GEIN20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/GEIN20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bonaccorsi, Andrea & Giuri, Paola, 2001.
"Network structure and industrial dynamics. The long-term evolution of the aircraft-engine industry,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 201-233, July.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi & Paola Giuri, 1999. "Network Structure and Industrial Dynamics. The long-term evolution of the aircraft-engine industry," LEM Papers Series 1999/06, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Frenken, Koen & Saviotti, Paolo P. & Trommetter, Michel, 1999. "Variety and niche creation in aircraft, helicopters, motorcycles and microcomputers," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 469-488, June.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi & Paola Giuri, 2001. "Learning, technological competition and network structure in the aero-engine industry," LEM Papers Series 2001/11, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Shelton S. (ed.), 1993. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency: Techniques and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195072181, March.
- Saviotti, P. P. & Metcalfe, J. S., 1984. "A theoretical approach to the construction of technological output indicators," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 141-151, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:ecinnt:v:14:y:2005:i:1-2:p:23-42. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.