Disability insurance and unemployment insurance as substitute pathways
In this article, we estimate the degree of substitution between enrolment into Disability Insurance (DI) and Unemployment Insurance (UI) in the Netherlands. Starting in the 1990s many policy measures aimed at reducing DI enrolment, and increase labour force participation. We quantify whether these policy measures have led to a reduction in hidden unemployment in DI. A side effect of the reforms may be increased pressure on UI. Therefore, we simultaneously estimate reverse substitution, that is, hidden disability in UI. To this end, we employ a sample of firms in the Dutch AVO database from the period 1993 to 2002. Using instrumental variables in a bivariate Tobit specification, we identify the hidden components in both respective schemes. The estimation results indicate that about 3% of all dismissals took place through DI, which implies that about one quarter of the DI enrolments observed in our sample in fact consists of hidden unemployment. We find no evidence for reverse substitution of disabled persons ending up in UI.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 42 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rob Euwals & Daniel Vuuren & Ronald Wolthoff, 2010.
"Early Retirement Behaviour in the Netherlands: Evidence From a Policy Reform,"
Springer, vol. 158(3), pages 209-236, September.
- Euwals, Rob & van Vuuren, Daniel & Wolthoff, Ronald P., 2006. "Early Retirement Behaviour in the Netherlands: Evidence from a Policy Reform," IZA Discussion Papers 1992, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rob Euwals & Daniel van Vuuren & Ronald Wolthoff, 2005. "Early retirement behaviour in the Netherlands; evidence from a policy reform," CPB Discussion Paper 52, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Euwals, Rob & van Vuuren, Daniel & Wolthoff, Ronald, 2006. "Early Retirement Behaviour in the Netherlands - Evidence from a Policy Reform," CEPR Discussion Papers 5596, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wolter Hassink, 2000. "Job destruction through quits or layoffs?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 45-47.
- Regina Riphahn, 1997. "Disability retirement and unemployment - substitute pathways for labour force exit? An empirical test for the case of Germany," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(5), pages 551-561.
- Mark Duggan & Perry Singleton & Jae Song, 2005. "Aching to Retire? The Rise in the Full Retirement Age and its Impact on the Disability Rolls," NBER Working Papers 11811, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-86871 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pierre Koning & Daniel van Vuuren, 2006. "Hidden unemployment in disability insurance in the Netherlands; an empirical analysis based on employer data," CPB Discussion Paper 69, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- David H. Autor & Mark G. Duggan, 2003. "The Rise In The Disability Rolls And The Decline In Unemployment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(1), pages 157-205, February.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20060018 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1984. "Panel data," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1247-1318 Elsevier.
- de Jong, Philip & Lindeboom, Maarten & van der Klaauw, Bas, 2006.
"Screening Disability Insurance Applications,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5564, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- de Jong, Philip & Lindeboom, Maarten & van der Klaauw, Bas, 2006. "Screening disability insurance applications," Working Paper Series 2006:15, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- de Jong, Philip & Lindeboom, Maarten & van der Klaauw, Bas, 2006. "Screening Disability Insurance Applications," IZA Discussion Papers 1981, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jonathan Gruber, 1996.
"Disability Insurance Benefits and Labor Supply,"
NBER Working Papers
5866, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hassink, R. & van Ours, J.C. & Ridder, G., 1997. "Dismissal through disability," Other publications TiSEM b756763d-1536-4d61-84e4-9, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Dan Black & Kermit Daniel & Seth Sanders, 2002. "The Impact of Economic Conditions on Participation in Disability Programs: Evidence from the Coal Boom and Bust," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(1), pages 27-50, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:42:y:2010:i:5:p:575-588. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.