Is exchange rate pass-through symmetric? Evidence from US imports
This study addresses the question of whether exchange rate pass-through into the import price is symmetric between appreciation and depreciation of the home currency. The dramatic increase of the dollar in the early 1980s and the subsequent decline provided a necessary setting for testing whether there was a structural change in the exchange rate pass-through. Examining import price data for 98 disaggregated SIC industries in the US manufacturing sector and the US import price for all commodities, mixed evidence is found regarding the stability of exchange rate pass-through.
Volume (Year): 39 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul R. Krugman & Richard E. Baldwin, 1987. "The Persistence of the U.S. Trade Deficit," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(1), pages 1-56.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2002.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through into Import Prices: A Macro or Micro Phenomenon?,"
NBER Working Papers
8934, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2002. "Exchange rate pass-through into import prices: a macro or micro phenomenon?," Staff Reports 149, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Campa, Jose M. & Goldberg, Linda S., 2002. "Exchange rate pass-through into import prices: A macro or micro phenomenon?," IESE Research Papers D/475, IESE Business School.
- Saeid Mahdavi, 2002. "The response of the US export prices to changes in the dollar's effective exchange rate: further evidence from industry level data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(17), pages 2115-2125.
- Jiawen Yang, 1997.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through In U.S. Manufacturing Industries,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 79(1), pages 95-104, February.
- Jiawen Yang, 1992. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through in U.S. Manufacturing Industries," Working Papers 92-28, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:39:y:2007:i:2:p:169-178. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.