Export performance and growth in China: a cross-provincial analysis
The role of exports in economic growth continues to be debated and tested in the literature on trade an development. China is a new player in this debate with its rapid entry into international makrets. This paper extends some of the previous empirical studies on the relationship between exports and economic growth in order to assess to what extent China's remarkable export growth has contributed to the country's overall growth. The study utilizes data for 26 provinces between 1985 and 1993 in an export-augmented aggregate production function approach. The results of our study support the hypothesis that exports have contributed to the growthh of provincial incomes in China for the period examined with both the cross-sectional and pooled analyses, with the results being primarily determined by the coastal provinces compared with inland areas.
Volume (Year): 29 (1997)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kavoussi, Rostam M., 1984. "Export expansion and economic growth : Further empirical evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 241-250.
- Michaely, Michael, 1977. "Exports and growth : An empirical investigation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 49-53, February.
- Moschos, Demetrios, 1989. "Export expansion, growth and the level of economic development: An empirical analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 93-102, January.
- Kohli, Inderjit & Singh, Nirvikar, 1989. "Exports and growth : Critical minimum effort and diminishing returns," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 391-400, April.
- Fosu, Augustin Kwasi, 1990. "Exports and economic growth: The African case," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 831-835, June.
- Xue, Jinjun, 1995. "The Export-led Growth Model and Its Application in China," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 36(2), pages 189-206, December.
- James Orr, 1991. "Evolution of U.S. trade with China," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Win, pages 47-54.
- Feder, Gershon, 1983. "On exports and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-2), pages 59-73.
- Balassa, Bela, 1978. "Exports and economic growth : Further evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 181-189, June.
- Heller, Peter S. & Porter, Richard C., 1978. "Exports and growth : An empirical re-investigation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 191-193, June.
- Chow, Peter C. Y., 1987. "Causality between export growth and industrial development : Empirial evidence from the NICs," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 55-63, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:29:y:1997:i:10:p:1353-1363. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.