A PDE approach to risk measures of derivatives
This paper proposes a partial differential equation (PDE) approach to calculate coherent risk measures for portfolios of derivatives under the Black-Scholes economy. It enables us to define the risk measures in a dynamic way and to deal with American options in a relatively effective way. Our risk measure is based on the representation form of coherent risk measures. Through the use of some earlier results the PDE satisfied by the risk measures are derived. The PDE resembles the standard Black-Scholes type PDE which can be solved using standard techniques from the mathematical finance literature. Indeed, these results reveal that the PDE approach can provide practitioners with a more applicable and flexible way to implement coherent risk measures for derivatives in the context of the Black-Scholes model.
Volume (Year): 7 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAMF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAMF20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Margrabe, William, 1978. "The Value of an Option to Exchange One Asset for Another," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 177-86, March.
- Leland, Hayne E, 1985.
" Option Pricing and Replication with Transactions Costs,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 40(5), pages 1283-1301, December.
- Hayne E. Leland., 1984. "Option Pricing and Replication with Transactions Costs," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 144, University of California at Berkeley.
- Hans FÃllmer & Peter Leukert, 1999. "Quantile hedging," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 251-273.
- Ioannis Karatzas & Jaksa Cvitanic, 1999. "On dynamic measures of risk," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 451-482.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apmtfi:v:7:y:2000:i:3:p:211-228. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.