On Bayesian Value at Risk: From Linear to Non-Linear Portfolios
This paper proposes the use of Bayesian approach to implement Value at Risk (VaR) model for both linear and non-linear portfolios. The Bayesian approach provides risk traders with the flexibility of adjusting their VaR models according to their subjective views. First, we deal with the case of linear portfolios. By imposing the conjugate-prior assumptions, a closed-form expression for the Bayesian VaR is obtained. The Bayesian VaR model can also be adjusted in order to deal with the ageing effect of the past data. By adopting Gerber-Shiu's option-pricing model, our Bayesian VaR model can also be applied to deal with non-linear portfolios of derivatives. We obtain an exact formula for the Bayesian VaR in the case of a single European call option. We adopt the method of back-testing to compare the non-adjusted and adjusted Bayesian VaR models with their corresponding classical counterparts in both linear and non-linear cases. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, Inc. 2004
Volume (Year): 11 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.jafee.gr.jp/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/finance/journal/10690/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine & Lo, Andrew W., 2000.
"Nonparametric risk management and implied risk aversion,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 94(1-2), pages 9-51.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia & Andrew W. Lo, 2000. "Nonparametric Risk Management and Implied Risk Aversion," NBER Working Papers 6130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McNeil, Alexander J. & Frey, Rudiger, 2000. "Estimation of tail-related risk measures for heteroscedastic financial time series: an extreme value approach," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 271-300, November.
- Clark, Peter K, 1973. "A Subordinated Stochastic Process Model with Finite Variance for Speculative Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(1), pages 135-155, January.
- Brennan, M J, 1979. "The Pricing of Contingent Claims in Discrete Time Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(1), pages 53-68, March.
- Hans FÃllmer & Peter Leukert, 1999. "Quantile hedging," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 251-273.
- Tauchen, George E & Pitts, Mark, 1983. "The Price Variability-Volume Relationship on Speculative Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 485-505, March.
- Wolfgang J. Runggaldier & Anna Zaccaria, 2000. "A Stochastic Control Approach to Risk Management Under Restricted Information," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 277-288.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Ioannis Karatzas & Jaksa Cvitanic, 1999. "On dynamic measures of risk," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 451-482.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:apfinm:v:11:y:2004:i:2:p:161-184. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.