The foreign exchange exposure of capital structure: the 1997 Asian crises revisited
The financial crisis of East Asia in 1997 was largely unanticipated and was characterized by the fact that drastic currency depreciation worsens the corporate capital structure and brought widespread financial turmoil. This paper attempts to examine the vicious cycle mechanism of East Asia crisis. A dynamic panel model is proposed to estimate the foreign exchange exposure of capital structure. Using precrisis data, it is shown that the Asian crisis is in fact a problem of structural vulnerability underlying most Asian economies. First, Hong Kong and Singapore have less risky capital structure before the crisis, which also have smaller exposure magnitude. Secondly, Thailand and Korea have more risky capital structure before the crisis and significant vicious cycles are found. These appropriately explain the vicious cycle between currency crisis and domestic financial turmoil: drastic depreciation worsens the debt ratio.
Volume (Year): 14 (2004)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen & Montiel, Peter, 2001. "The Dynamics of Capital Movements to Emerging Economies During the 1990s," MPRA Paper 7577, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1999.
"Threshold effects in non-dynamic panels: Estimation, testing, and inference,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 345-368, December.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1997. "Threshold effects in non-dynamic panels: Estimation, testing and inference," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 365, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Chowdhry, Bhagwan & Goyal, Amit, 2000. "Understanding the financial crisis in Asia," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 135-152, May.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Klepper, Steven, 1992. "The Anatomy of Industry R&D Intensity Distributions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 773-799, September.
- Friend, Irwin & Lang, Larry H P, 1988. " An Empirical Test of the Impact of Managerial Self-interest on Corporate Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(2), pages 271-281, June.
- Bodnar, Gordon M. & Gentry, William M., 1993. "Exchange rate exposure and industry characteristics: evidence from Canada, Japan, and the USA," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 29-45, February.
- Baer, Werner & Miles, William R. & Moran, Allen B., 1999. "The end of the Asian Myth: Why were the Experts Fooled?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 1735-1747, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:14:y:2004:i:7:p:497-505. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.