A simple test of the Fama and French model using daily data: Australian evidence
The current study contributes to the empirical literature aimed at testing the Fama and French three-factor model, using daily Australian data. In general, the evidence found is quite favourable to the model based on formal asset pricing tests. However, when the estimated risk premia are taken into account, the support for the Fama-French model is less persuasive. In particular, a negative size premium is uncovered consistent with a wave of recent findings questioning its continued existence over recent years.
Volume (Year): 14 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul A. Gompers & Andrew Metrick, .
"Institutional Investors and Equity Prices,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
20-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Jagannathan, Ravi & Wang, Zhenyu, 1996.
" The Conditional CAPM and the Cross-Section of Expected Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 3-53, March.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Zhenyu Wang, 1996. "The conditional CAPM and the cross-section of expected returns," Staff Report 208, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Handa, Puneet & Kothari, S. P. & Wasley, Charles, 1989. "The relation between the return interval and betas : Implications for the size effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 79-100, June.
- Steven L. Heston & K. Geert Rouwenhorst & Roberto E. Wessels, 1999.
"The Role of Beta and Size in the Cross-Section of European Stock Returns,"
European Financial Management,
European Financial Management Association, vol. 5(1), pages 9-27.
- Steven Heston & K. Rouwenhorst & Roberto Wessels, 2008. "The Role of Beta and Size in the Cross-Section of European Stock Returns," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm86, Yale School of Management.
- Pettengill, Glenn N. & Sundaram, Sridhar & Mathur, Ike, 1995. "The Conditional Relation between Beta and Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(01), pages 101-116, March.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1995. " Size and Book-to-Market Factors in Earnings and Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 131-55, March.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1992. " The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 427-65, June.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Martikainen, Teppo & Perttunen, Jukka, 1991. "Return intervals, systematic risk estimates and firm size : Empirical evidence from a thin security market," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 311-315, July.
- Raymond Kan & Chu Zhang, 1999. "Two-Pass Tests of Asset Pricing Models with Useless Factors," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(1), pages 203-235, 02.
- Andrew Clare, Richard Priestley & Steven Thomas, .
"Reports of beta's death are premature: evidence from the UK,"
CERF Discussion Paper Series
96-05, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Clare, A. D. & Priestley, R. & Thomas, S. H., 1998. "Reports of beta's death are premature: Evidence from the UK," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(9), pages 1207-1229, September.
- Tyler Shumway & Vincent A. Warther, 1999. "The Delisting Bias in CRSP's Nasdaq Data and Its Implications for the Size Effect," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(6), pages 2361-2379, December.
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Loughran, Tim & Savin, N. E., 2000. "Three analyses of the firm size premium," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 143-153, August.
- Bhardwaj, Ravinder K & Brooks, LeRoy D, 1993. "Dual Betas from Bull and Bear Markets: Reversal of the Size Effect," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 16(4), pages 269-83, Winter.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1996. " Multifactor Explanations of Asset Pricing Anomalies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 55-84, March.
- Kothari, S P & Shanken, Jay & Sloan, Richard G, 1995. " Another Look at the Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 185-224, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:14:y:2004:i:2:p:83-92. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.