Predicting regime switches in the VIX index with macroeconomic variables
In this article, we investigate the role of US macroeconomic variables as leading indicators of regime shifts in the VIX index using a regime-switching approach. We find that there are three distinct regimes in the VIX index during the 1990 to 2010 period: tranquil regime with low volatility, turmoil regime with high volatility and crisis regime with extremely high volatility. We also show that the regime shift from the tranquil to the turmoil regime is significantly predicted by lower term spreads.
Volume (Year): 18 (2011)
Issue (Month): 15 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Weiyu Guo & Mark E. Wohar, 2006. "Identifying Regime Changes In Market Volatility," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 29(1), pages 79-93.
- Smith, Aaron & Naik, Prasad A. & Tsai, Chih-Ling, 2006.
"Markov-switching model selection using Kullback-Leibler divergence,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 553-577, October.
- Smith, Aaron D. & Naik, Prasad A. & Tsai, Chih-Ling, 2005. "Markov-Switching Model Selection Using Kullback-Leibler Divergence," Working Papers 11976, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Jun Pan & Kenneth J. Singleton, 2008. "Default and Recovery Implicit in the Term Structure of Sovereign "CDS" Spreads," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(5), pages 2345-2384, October.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Stefan Nagel & Lasse H. Pedersen, 2009.
"Carry Trades and Currency Crashes,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2008, Volume 23, pages 313-347
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bussiere, Matthieu & Fratzscher, Marcel, 2006.
"Towards a new early warning system of financial crises,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 953-973, October.
- Fratzscher, Marcel & Matthieu Bussiere, 2003. "Towards A New Early Warning System of Financial Crises," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 81, Royal Economic Society.
- Bussière, Matthieu & Fratzscher, Marcel, 2002. "Towards a new early warning system of financial crises," Working Paper Series 0145, European Central Bank.
- Chen, Shiu-Sheng, 2009. "Predicting the bear stock market: Macroeconomic variables as leading indicators," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 211-223, February.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Cahiers de recherche
9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Chen, En-Te (John) & Clements, Adam, 2007. "S&P 500 implied volatility and monetary policy announcements," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 227-232, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:18:y:2011:i:15:p:1415-1419. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.