International production sharing and economic development: moving up the value-chain for a small-open economy
This study theoretically examines the factors required by a small-open economy to move up the value-chain. To carry out the study, a framework of production sharing involving a large developed country and a less developed small-open economy is used. Service bundles are modelled as inputs for coordinating the manufacturing activities located across the countries. It is found that the small-open economy can move up the value-chain when the size of its skilled labour force increases and the production cost of its service bundles decreases.
Volume (Year): 11 (2004)
Issue (Month): 14 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Burda & Barbara Dluhosch, 2000.
"Fragmentation, Globalization and Labor Markets,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
352, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hijzen, Alexander & Görg, Holger & Hine, Robert C., 2003. "International Fragmentation and Relative Wages in the UK," IZA Discussion Papers 717, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Avinash K. Dixit & Gene M. Grossman, 1981.
"Trade and Protection with Multistage Production,"
NBER Working Papers
0794, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1999.
"Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-356, February.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment as a Catalyst for Industrial Development," NBER Working Papers 6241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Feenstra & Gordon Hanson, 2001. "Global Production Sharing and Rising Inequality: A Survey of Trade and Wages," NBER Working Papers 8372, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- van Schaik, Anton B. T. M. & de Groot, Henri L. F., 2002. "Macroeconomic consequences of downsizing," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 331-352, May.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 2002. "Growth & Innovation Policies For a Knowledge Economy. Experiences From Finland, Sweden & Singapore," EIJS Working Paper Series 156, The European Institute of Japanese Studies.
- Ngo Van Long & Ray Riezman & Antoine Soubeyran, 2001. "Fragmentation, Outsourcing and the Service Sector," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-43, CIRANO.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:199843 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:11:y:2004:i:14:p:885-889. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.