Economic Integration in a Chamberlinian-Ricardian World
Based on a many-industry Chamberlinian-Ricardian trade model with iceberg trade costs, this note examines the impact of two modes of economic integration: a reduction in trade costs, and technical standardization due to information spillover. It is shown that these two modes of economic integration have opposing effects on specialization patterns: while trade liberalization narrows the range of industries with intra-industry trade, technical standardization widens the same range.
|Date of creation:||20 Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +322 299 3523
Fax: +322 299 3523
Web page: http://www.eeri.eu/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luis A. Rivera-Batiz & Paul M. Romer, 1991. "Economic Integration and Endogenous Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(2), pages 531-555.
- Rikard Forslid & Ian Wooton, 2003.
"Comparative Advantage and the Location of Production,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(4), pages 588-603, 09.
- Forslid, Rikard & Wooton, Ian, 1999. "Comparative Advantage and the Location of Production," CEPR Discussion Papers 2118, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Krugman, Paul R., 1979. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-479, November.
- J. Peter Neary, 2003.
"Competitive versus Comparative Advantage,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 457-470, 04.
- Toru Kikuchi & Koji Shimomura & Dao-Zhi Zeng, 2008. "On Chamberlinian-Ricardian Trade Patterns," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(2), pages 285-292, 05.
- Nicholas Sim, 2004. "International production sharing and economic development: moving up the value-chain for a small-open economy," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(14), pages 885-889.
- Venables, Anthony J, 1987. "Trade and Trade Policy with Differentiated Products: A Chamberlinian-Ricardian Model," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(387), pages 700-717, September.
- Van Long, Ngo & Riezman, Raymond & Soubeyran, Antoine, 2005. "Fragmentation and services," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 137-152, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eei:rpaper:eeri_rp_2008_07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia van Hove)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.