Economic Integration in a Chamberlinian-Ricardian World
Based on a many-industry Chamberlinian-Ricardian trade model with iceberg trade costs, this note examines the impact of two modes of economic integration: a reduction in trade costs, and technical standardization due to information spillover. It is shown that these two modes of economic integration have opposing effects on specialization patterns: while trade liberalization narrows the range of industries with intra-industry trade, technical standardization widens the same range.
|Date of creation:||20 Oct 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Louise, 1050 Brussels|
Phone: +32 2271 9482
Fax: +32 2271 9480
Web page: http://www.eeri.eu/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Peter Neary, 2003.
"Competitive versus Comparative Advantage,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 457-470, 04.
- J. Peter Neary, 2002. "Competitive versus comparative advantage," Working Papers 200219, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Van Long, Ngo & Riezman, Raymond & Soubeyran, Antoine, 2005. "Fragmentation and services," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 137-152, March.
- Nicholas Sim, 2004. "International production sharing and economic development: moving up the value-chain for a small-open economy," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(14), pages 885-889.
- Luis A. Rivera-Batiz & Paul M. Romer, 1991. "Economic Integration and Endogenous Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(2), pages 531-555.
- Luis A. Rivera-Batiz & Paul M. Romer, 1990. "Economic Integration and Endogenous Growth," NBER Working Papers 3528, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krugman, Paul R., 1979. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-479, November.
- Venables, Anthony J, 1987. "Trade and Trade Policy with Differentiated Products: A Chamberlinian-Ricardian Model," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(387), pages 700-717, September.
- Toru Kikuchi & Koji Shimomura & Dao-Zhi Zeng, 2008. "On Chamberlinian-Ricardian Trade Patterns," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(2), pages 285-292, 05.
- Rikard Forslid & Ian Wooton, 2003. "Comparative Advantage and the Location of Production," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(4), pages 588-603, 09.
- Forslid, Rikard & Wooton, Ian, 1999. "Comparative Advantage and the Location of Production," CEPR Discussion Papers 2118, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eei:rpaper:eeri_rp_2008_07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia van Hove)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.